Colour development

auntiejude

Reaction score
Country
England
I have been monitoring the colour development in my new batch of babies. Their mother is albino and their father is wildtype, and a while back I asked a question about when I might see colour in the wildtype babies from the white eggs.
Here is the result of my monitoring.
All of the eggs appeared white with very little discernable colour immediatley before hatching. Some of the wildtype babies had visible black eyes, some were not visible until after they hatched.
Photos are of each type as newly hatched babies at 3-12 hours, and then at 5 days, and the 4 month old babies from October's batch:

Attachments

• alb 1.jpg
    alb 1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 203
  • wt 3.jpg
    wt 3.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 236
  • alb 2.jpg
    alb 2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 238
  • wt 1.jpg
    wt 1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 198
  • DSC_0819.jpg
    DSC_0819.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC_0816.jpg
    DSC_0816.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 199
That gold is stunning! My axolotls are about 4-5 months but only 10-12cm. I feed them frozen bloodworms and earthworms. They both eat about 1.5-2 adult earthworms that are chopped up. Water quality is great. Why won't they grow like yours :(

Why won't they grow like yours?

I just seem to grow 'em big! My biggest juvie hatched in late October and is just shy of 6 inches. (you should meet my son - not turned 16 yet and just reached 6ft tall!)

12cm is a reasonable size for 4 months, you'd normally reckon on 1 inch per month for the first 6 months, then slower growth to full size at 12-18 months.

I just seem to grow 'em big! My biggest juvie hatched in late October and is just shy of 6 inches. (you should meet my son - not turned 16 yet and just reached 6ft tall!)

12cm is a reasonable size for 4 months, you'd normally reckon on 1 inch per month for the first 6 months, then slower growth to full size at 12-18 months.

6ft at 16?! Wow good work on that! :lol:

Well hearing that makes me feel bigger - everyone else's pictures of their juveniles at that age look so much bigger than mine - you can still see my goldens organs and my wild looks so tiny. I JUST WANT TO PUT THEM IN THE BIG TANK ALREADY!!! :(

Anyway - back to yours. They are all lovely and can't wait to see the babies development. Can you keep us updated throughout their growth? :)

Ahg, the pictures of your 4 month olds make me want to drool. SO nice!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back