Axolotl has cut on leg, possible fridging?

Lexolotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Lex
While going to feed my axolotls I noticed that the female has a cut on her leg.
I have her with a male in a 55G tank, with sand substrate, several terra cotta pots, and some fake plants. I figured the male might have nipped at her leg maybe?

I've taken her out and put her in a glass pyrex dish. It's the biggest dish I have that will fit in my fridge. She doesn't walk on it or bend it, and is keeping it at her side.

All opinions appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20140204_160304.jpg
    20140204_160304.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 690
  • 20140204_160353.jpg
    20140204_160353.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 920
I wouldnt take any action at this point, just observe it and treat for fungus if it takes hold.

You only need to fridge an axies if
A. it has some digestive issues, such as it swallowed gravel or is suffering from constipation or gas
B. it's not eating due to severe illness and you need to slow it's metabolism down to aid recovery or buy it some time (i.e. last resort)

An axie with an injury like that needs TLC - you've done the right thing in isolating her.
Keep her cool, change the water every day, feed her worms. A tea bath may soothe her obviously sore leg, and help prevent infection. Keep your eye out for infection or fungus. The injury isn't that bad (it looks worse than it is), she will heal with just some TLC and time.

The reason why I thought about fridging was because I wanted to prevent fungus growth. But I suppose that would also slow down the healing process.

You said something about a tea bath? I've heard of salt baths but not tea baths.

Just brew a cup of tea (ordinary black tea, not herbal or green), leave the tea bag in until it goes cold, add the tea to the tub.

• Tea bath for axolotls
    Contributed by Daniel Weiner, August 2007.
    I mainly use teabaths for minor skin problems. It may also be used with fungal problems but on that account I prefer salt baths. Tea has a slightly antifungal and antibacterial effect (resulting from tannins) and additionally it closes the pores in the skin a little bit (mainly resulting from tannin and caffeine). The skin tightens and gets some kind of protective layer, making it harder for fungi and bacteria to intrude the body. On the other hand it makes it harder for salt or medicine to reach pathogens which are already inside the body - that is the reason I do not use it on fungal infections, although a tea bath is sometimes recommended as a cure for fungal infections by some people.
    The medication is as follows: I take one bag of black tea without any additional aroma (it is important to use black tea because this kind of tea is fermented and so it has tannins) for every 10 litres of water (preferably used in a quarantine tank). This tea gets dashed with boiling water in a seperate bowl - I leave it there for at least 10 to 15 minutes so the tannins are resolved into the water. The tea has to cool down and is finally added to the quarantine water. After a week I make a bigger change of water (60% at least), the rest of the tea is removed over time by normal water changes. If you have to make more regular water changes (f.i. in a small bowl or tank) the tea concentration can be refilled. As far as I know there are no negative effects even for long term treatment.
    A similar effect (although not as strong) may have the addition of dried oak or beech leafs now and then as a precaution.

Here's the full recipe as contributed by Daniel Weiner :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back