Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tight spots = worried mother

Luna

Reaction score
My axolotl keeps trying to squeeze itself into tight spaces like between the filter and the glass or the rock and the glass. He has never done this before and i was wondering if it were something i should watch out for or be worried about. I get worried because i have no idea how he get in these places in the first place and because the spots are really tight that i get scared he might squish himself.
Thank you

HayleyK

Reaction score
Axolotls love to do this. Try to put something in his way or rearrange things to try and stop it. But it's pretty normal behavior.

Kaini

Reaction score
Oh gosh yea my Axie loves to do it too. If you're worried just re-arrange things so there's plenty of space between objects and the glass etc

But yea, I'd guess the behavior is fairly normal. My axie loves to get behind the filter and squeeze himself between the thermometer and the glass.

lovesheraxies

Reaction score
Mine do that stuff all the time. Sheldon in particular prefers the water flow and will sleep crammed in by the filter and glass with the water blowing through his gills.

EmbryH

Reaction score
Oh my goodness, gather 'round kids, let me tell you a story.

So once upon a time, there was a very, VERY special little snowflake of an axolotl named Albus.

Albus liked to hide in his rock caves, liked to swim around them, loved to go all through the tight little spots of his tank, because he was small, and he could fit, and why shouldn't he do all this?

Then one day Albus grew. He got bigger and bigger, because Albus also loved to eat earthworms. Then, when Albus tried to go through all his tight little spots again, he found that it was a little more difficult.. and a little more difficult....

until one day, Albus got stuck between the wall of his cave and the glass of his tank. And he kept trying to swim through this tiny gap anyway....

Like seriously, there is video of this axolotl repeatedly trying to swim through this little gap in his tank. We would move him out of the gap, and the he would go RIGHT BACK INTO IT AGAIN.

We eventually gave up and just shoved the cave over a bit so he would have enough space to fit through.

So yeah, that's the story time of just one of the instances in which Albus proved himself to be the most special of all my little snowflakes.

seagull

Reaction score
when i first got tortilla he wanted to wedge himself between a rock and the tank floor
burrito wedges her face between stuff a lot
they r really silly animals

sphynx

Reaction score
I found my little guy verticle inbetween the glass and a large piece of driftwood. I decided to stick around to see if he needed any help getting out, so i sat down, played with my phone a while, and looked up, he was gone!. he somehow sneaked all the way over to his hideout!

snuggly time

Reaction score
Mine actually knocked his thermometer off the glass last night trying to get out from where he'd wedged himself between the glass and his log. It's normal, lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1