Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: First axolotl(s) - adult or juvenile?

tinyali

Reaction score
Hello!

I have just acquired a 140 litre aquarium. I'd eventually like to get 2 axolotls to live in it, but I've never kept them before. My question is, what are the pros and cons of getting adults vs juveniles?

I like the idea of getting some younger axies so I can watch them grow and get to know them, but I've read that they're harder to take care of. Also I'd be worried that I'd accidentally get 2 different genders and end up with a whole load of babies.

Also, should I get both at once, or start with one while I get the hang of it and introduce another one later?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

PS the aquarium I've got is still empty, so I'm a long way off actually getting any axies. But I like to do my research :happy:

auntiejude

Reaction score
the aquarium I've got is still empty, so I'm a long way off actually getting any axies. But I like to do my research :happy:
Well done!

Once juvies are about 4-5" they are no harder to keep than adults - they eat more or less the same things, and yes its fun to watch them grow.
Adults where you know the sex is fine too, but they are usually moe expensive.
Personally I would go for juvies every time, they are past the point of fragile babies, big enough to be a bit tougher and cope with a tank/filter etc, but you still get to watch them grow. You can also 'train' them to some extent when they are young, like persuade them to come up to you for food.

tinyali

Reaction score
Thanks for your response!
It does seem like juvies are the way forward. I just hope I don't end up with a breeding pair! I suppose I could always divide the tank if they do turn out to be different sexes. I don't think I'm ready for a family yet....

usafaux2004

Reaction score
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1