I think my Axolotl ate something it shouldn't have

MRowe

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have no idea what it is or where it came from, but I looked at my axolotl today and noticed some bruising and swelling in it's abdomen. On further inspection, I ralized that there are actually prongs protruding THROUGH his belly! I don't know what to do! :(

Attachments

• 20140205_133209.jpg
    20140205_133209.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 317
  • 20140205_133244.jpg
    20140205_133244.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 308
My only advice would be to take him to see a herp vet... I can't imagine he'd pass whatever that is safely D:

Axolotls will swallow anything smaller than their heads, so make sure there's nothing like that in your tank.

That looks like a staple or fastener of some kind - take it to a vet ASAP.

It looks like a staple. He could be anesthetized and try to rotate what looks like a u shaped staple so it would come out. It could probably be surgically removed.

It looks like a staple to me also. It would be difficult, but if you could snip off one protruding "leg" you could more easily rotate and remove it.

Bad news: The local vet said that they have no experience with axolotls. With a bad snow storm we're experiencing here, I have no means of going beyond local either.

Good news: the protrusion is actually soft and, judging by the chitin that he's pooping, I'm guessing he got a insect of some sort. I was able to gently trim the tips as much as possible... so here's hoping :(

The chitin he's excreting, and the prongs

Attachments

• 20140205_155752.jpeg
    20140205_155752.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 244
  • 20140205_155815.jpeg
    20140205_155815.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 253
GOOD NEWS! He finally passed...whatever it was, and is now back to eating small amounts of food. I still have him by himself and am doing daily water changes to make sure he doesn't get infected, but the bruising has gone down greatly and he seems to be back to his chipper self!

Here's a picture of what got him...I still have no idea what it is

Attachments

• 20140206_235327.jpg
    20140206_235327.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 285
Wow interesting. Glad it got passed. I wonder what it was. Some type of pincer from a bug?

A friend of mine (who works with crickets) showed me that a female appendage (oviporestor) splits just like it, so I guess it was a cricket that he got into. Fortunately, having trimmed it, he was able to pass it with no permanent damage. He is happy and healthy, and eating like the pig that he is once again. Thank you for your help! :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back