PDA

View Full Version : I think my Axolotl ate something it shouldn't have

MRowe
5th February 2014, 18:40
I have no idea what it is or where it came from, but I looked at my axolotl today and noticed some bruising and swelling in it's abdomen. On further inspection, I ralized that there are actually prongs protruding THROUGH his belly! I don't know what to do! :(

Kaini
5th February 2014, 18:56
My only advice would be to take him to see a herp vet... I can't imagine he'd pass whatever that is safely D:

Axolotls will swallow anything smaller than their heads, so make sure there's nothing like that in your tank.

auntiejude
5th February 2014, 19:46
That looks like a staple or fastener of some kind - take it to a vet ASAP.

michael
5th February 2014, 19:47
It looks like a staple. He could be anesthetized and try to rotate what looks like a u shaped staple so it would come out. It could probably be surgically removed.

Margie
5th February 2014, 20:41
It looks like a staple to me also. It would be difficult, but if you could snip off one protruding "leg" you could more easily rotate and remove it.

MRowe
5th February 2014, 20:57
Bad news: The local vet said that they have no experience with axolotls. With a bad snow storm we're experiencing here, I have no means of going beyond local either.

Good news: the protrusion is actually soft and, judging by the chitin that he's pooping, I'm guessing he got a insect of some sort. I was able to gently trim the tips as much as possible... so here's hoping :(

MRowe
5th February 2014, 21:02
The chitin he's excreting, and the prongs

MRowe
7th February 2014, 05:07
GOOD NEWS! He finally passed...whatever it was, and is now back to eating small amounts of food. I still have him by himself and am doing daily water changes to make sure he doesn't get infected, but the bruising has gone down greatly and he seems to be back to his chipper self!

Here's a picture of what got him...I still have no idea what it is

ladygodiva35
8th February 2014, 01:45
Wow interesting. Glad it got passed. I wonder what it was. Some type of pincer from a bug?

mikeg
8th February 2014, 02:18
It somewhat reminds me of Earwing forceps

MRowe
16th February 2014, 02:01
A friend of mine (who works with crickets) showed me that a female appendage (oviporestor) splits just like it, so I guess it was a cricket that he got into. Fortunately, having trimmed it, he was able to pass it with no permanent damage. He is happy and healthy, and eating like the pig that he is once again. Thank you for your help! :happy: