Illness/Sickness: Medication from vets- Parasites- 30min soak??

GreerDalrymple

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Greer
Hi there everyone, i need a question answered quickly if anyone can help!

I recently had some pathology done on my axolotls & my morpholotl & results came back showing a high amount of parasites (I can't remember exactly which one). My vet told me today that having some parasites is normal for amphibians & reptiles, but they can take over & become a big problem if the host becomes sick & vulnerable, like my guys. (My axie Charlie & morph Mustang have lost a lot of weight since their near death experience with the heat in Spring, eat LOTS of earthworms & never put the weight back on, then little charlie had problems eating & i got some advice through a thread i made on here. (Trackbacked the URL to that thread)

The treatment given to me today by the vet is called 'Metrogyl', it comes in 200mg tablets.
The directions are "Dissolve 1/4 of a tablet into 1L of water. Soak each axolotl for 30 minutes a day for 5 days".

I am worried that this is too long to soak them for, as the same vet (not same person) previously told me that a salt bath should be for half an hour, & i was told on here that that is much too long.

If anyone has any help or advice i would love to hear it, as i want to start treatment as soon as possible without hurting my little guys.

Medication baths are not the same as salt baths - follow the instructions given to you by the vet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back