Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Juveniles

HayleyK

Reaction score
Hi all!

My two little ones are growing up :) they are 11cm and 13cm. I've been feeding them earthworms and occassionally bloodworms. I usually feed them twice a day about 1.5 earthworms each feeding time. Today is the first that they haven't seemed the slightest bit interested in food. Should I cut back of feeding at this size? Cut back on how many times they eat? My parameters are all in check and temperature is sitting at 20 degrees celcius. I also have an adult about 18cm long. I know they have to be reasonably close in size but I've read various answers such as 5cm differences, 2cm differences etc. At what sizes would you recommend introducing the juveniles to my adult? Having two tanks is quite exhausting!

EmbryH

Reaction score
Try feeding them once a day, or even once every two days. They should be more interested then. I've actually never fed my axolotls more than once a day, and they've always been fine.

As far as introducing them to the adults, try starting with a tank divider if you can. They'll sort of interact with each other through the divider. Misha was about 6 inches before I took the divider out, but Godric's a pretty big axolotl himself, so your juvies might not need to be quite that size.

Just use your best judgement, and proceed with caution.

HayleyK

Reaction score
So it's okay to feed them once a day/two days at that size ? I did feed them once a day but they weren't gaining or growing so from then on I always fed them twice a day because they were so small for their age and on the thin side.

My tank is quite deep and still feeding smaller/cut up earthworms so it'll be an effort feeding so i would rather do the "take everyone out of the tank, rearrange, place new axolotls in and then the older one" method of introduction as getting a divider to fit my tank will be a pain to order/make. So I would rather know what's a decent size difference before I do this? Although he is 5cm off my adult he still looks a little too small to put in.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Feeding once a day is fine, their growth slows down a bit at that size anyway. They should also be able to take whole worms, which might make feeding a bit easier.

Personally I wouldn't put them in with an adult, I think they are still too small.

HayleyK

Reaction score
Feeding once a day is fine, their growth slows down a bit at that size anyway. They should also be able to take whole worms, which might make feeding a bit easier.

Personally I wouldn't put them in with an adult, I think they are still too small.

I've tried full worms, they can't just yet. They take half worms or 1/3 of worms at a time I just don't want my whole arm getting wet/ in the tank trying to feed them for 10-15 minutes.

How big should they be before I put them in do you reckon?

Thanks guys!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1