Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Picky eater...

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
One of my Chinese firebellies has been a trouble eater ever since I got him/her. She only eats about once a week at the moment, and is starting to look a bit thin. I've been feeding her nightcrawlers and blackworms. If I drop a nightcrawler tail into the tank, she goes for it about half of the time. If I set a clump of blackworms in, and she actually goes for them, she eats the majority, but a number of them escape. Does anyone have any feeding advice? I'm starting to worry about his/her health, and can't tell if she's been hunting the escaped blackworms.

(My other newt is feeding just fine.)

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe it just prefers blackworms to nightcrawlers? I have a male C. pyrrho that will only eat nightcrawlers if he's very hungry, most of the time he sniffs them and then just wanders off. The other 3 adults I have prefer nightcrawlers to anything else!

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
The thing is that he seems to only eat them when they're right in front of his nose. Even then, sometimes he just swims off. Could his eyesight be particularly bad?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suppose it's possible but I think they can hunt from the scent of food as well? Sometimes I find that smaller worms are preferred over a bigger one cut up, I don't know why this is but even my juveniles much prefer whole worms!
What is his body shape like, does he seem to be losing a lot of weight?

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
Here he is. He seems to be losing weight gradually.

Attachments

• DSCN8825.jpg
    DSCN8825.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 253

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He does look a bit on the thin side, I thought blackworms were a favorite with most newts so i'm not sure why he's not interested! I can only suggest trying smaller, un chopped earthworms, maybe you could offer them with forceps right in front of him?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1