Complete disinterest in food

selfster88

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My axie Wesley, who is usually a bit of a piggy, seems to be completely off his food. I feed him frozen bloodworms until he doesn't want any more every 2-3 days but when I tried to feed him yesterday he just moved away from my hands and despite my repeated attempts to get him eating he just wasn't interested at all. I've tried again today and with some coaxing he took a few small bites but nowhere near as much as he normally eats.

As far as I'm aware all of his tank parameters are normal and he's due for a tank clean tomorrow.

He's not started to lose any weight so I'm very reluctant to force feed him but is this fairly common in axies? It's very out of character for him as he's usually a greedy little thing!

If he's an adult he only needs to be feed every 2-3 days anyway and earthworms are more nutrious and the best staple food for an adult axolotl. If his body width is as wide as his head he's healthy!

He just may be very full! Force feeding is unnecessary and is a last resort if an axolotl is severely underweight. What's your temp like also?

Hi Hayley, thanks for your reply - temp is good 18-19'C

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back