Question: Which pellet food is best (UK only)

BrogieBaby

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
BrogieBaby
Hi guys

Firstly Hi Im new to the forum and the land of Axies! I am getting mine on Wednesday from a friend he is about 2 years old and I am super excited.

I am trying to make sure I have everything set up ready for his arrival so which pellet/ dry food do you guys think is best? It is something I just want to have in along side his other food.

I am in the UK so must be available here

I use Pollywog and a proprietary worm-based pellet I got from somewhere on line. Pollywog have the advantage of staying pellet-like after soaking, the others break up a bit and go mushy. But my axies don't really like them.....

Worms should be your first choice though, axies can take them from about 3". Get yourself a worm farm going.

Thank you for your replies I will get some ordered now and go to the fishing shop to get some wormies too - He currently gets prawns every few day so I have some in already incase he is unsure about his new food.

Prawns are unsuitable as their staple as it is too salty. Use very sparingly. They will learn to take the worms if you keep offering (and not giving in and giving him prawns!)

I dont think they are his staple diet I think she feeds other things too but I know he does like a prawn or two - I was thinking of boiling/blanching the prawns to try and remove the salt content - does anyone know if that is advised?

Raw foods are better. And earthworms are best! There are far better treats to give him such as bloodworms, black worms, wax worms, freshwater shrimp and fish etc. :D

Just been out and got some bloodworms in the past hour so Im glad that was on your list :)
Im going to try not to feed much pellet food but I think having some in wont be a bad idea especially while i move house etc

I use novo lotl pellets purchased from eBay, jsut search axolotl pellets and they're the ones in the yellow container. They're a good staple food and are sinking pellets so they'll sit on the bottom of the tank for a while. If your lotl doesn't eat them within, say, half a hour take them back out as they go mouldy and will affect the water. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back