Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Has anyone ever had a 'one eyed' axolotl?

Boomsloth

Reaction score
My axolotls are all growing and eating fine. They all have different growth rates and no injuries to date, but one of my smaller wild types has always had a funny looking eye. Now that he's a little bigger it is apparent that he only has one fully formed eye. It doesn't look like it could have been an injury since there is no scarring and it just looks like it never formed. Also it hasn't shown any sign of 'growing' a new one. He has a little trouble finding the food compared to everyone else so I've separated him and have been feeding him by hand.

I'll be posting pictures of him soon. Has anyone else seen this in an axolotl?

auntiejude

Reaction score
There is a recognised 'eyeless gene' (mutant genes link), but if it's just the one in your whole batch I doubt it's that.

It could just be an unfortunate developmental abnormality. We've seen odd mutations like that before on here, have a search. If it's thriving all well and good, it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
He's got one healthy eye and eats fine with a little help. I've been feeding a mix of blood and blackworms to get a little more weight on him. I bought him with the rest of my axolotls and there is a dark mark where his eye should be but now that he's growing it is obvious he's missing a eye. I'll upload some pictures later today so you can take a look at him. He ate about 7 bloodworms this morning.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
DSC00491.jpg

DSC00494.jpg

DSC00495.jpg

DSC00496.jpg

DSC00497.jpg

Sorry it took me a while, I currently have the flu. As you can see its like the eye stopped forming right at the beginning. He's healthy otherwise.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
They do look like they have the same if no similar conditions. I wonder if it is genetic or just a developmental malfunction.

usafaux2004

Reaction score
I'll get updated pics. Spot has an eye, but the white light is there, and looks elongated from above. No issues feeding.

sde

Reaction score
He should be totally fine. I have seen wild amphibians with only one eye, though I think that they had lost them from injury. But if wild amphibians can survive with one eye, I am sure your captive axolotl can too.

It is very interesting though. :happy:

-Seth

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!