Axolotl Health Check

EmJ

Reaction score
Country
England
Hey guys, so I've had my axolotl five years now and was just running an MOT I guess! I understand that axolotls can develop darker pots/ patterns as they mature however in your experience does this eventually stop, or can it last a lifetime? My axolotl's face spots continue to get darker, more pronounced and more in number. She is also developing these spots slightly along the top edge of the 'dorsal fin' which you may be able to see in the image.

Also another query, some of the filaments on her gills have gradually become more enlarged than others, is this an indication of an issue?

(The picture provided is about a year old now, the spots are slightly more pronounced than shown here)

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 664658_4289591555806_1088229382_o.jpg
    664658_4289591555806_1088229382_o.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 296
Different axolotls do different things. Some spots darken, some lighten and some disappear altogether which is what happened to my leucistics freckles. She was deathly sick at the time so I'm not sure if that played a part.

What do you mean by enlarged? Like they've become longer or thicker and bubbly looking? Do you have a photo of it?

Interesting! Thanks for your response!

I apologise for being vague by enlarged I mean that some of the gill filaments seem to have become noticeably thicker than the others, you may be able to see some in the image. I'm not sure if some of the other filaments have also become more sparse, perhaps in relation to the thickening of some.

All axolotls regardless of color type can go through different changes in hues and patterns. Some people will notice that their axolotls will lighten or darken depending if their substrate is light or dark. Also their gill filaments will grow and shrink based on necessity and genetics. Do you have any way of aerating your tank? or notice him jumping up frequently for air?

Thanks for you response. Along with the filter I have a bubble tube buried in the sand at one end, connected to an air pump above. Todd splits her time mostly between her cave and sitting in the bubbles. She doesn't swim to the surface to gulp air or behave any different to what I have experienced across her lifespan. These are also all things that have occurred very gradually (both the pigmentation and the odd gill filament that has enlarged). She loves her food and (to me anyway) looks to be in good condition. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back