Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie Losing Tail Fin

gfsward

Reaction score
In the last few days my couple year old axie has had major tail fin reduction. None of my other axolotls have this sort of reduction. I'm not sure if something is wrong or if it will grow again. If any more experienced axie owners could help clear this up I would greatly appreciate it.
She also hasn't been eating well for the past month, so she does look very skinny in the picture.

Attachments

• CAM00803.jpg
    CAM00803.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 848

gfsward

Reaction score
All the parameters are good. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and around 5 on the nitrate.
Temp is 67 degrees F.
Sorry i forgot to put that in my first post.

HayleyK

Reaction score
Does she have brown dirt-looking stuff underneath her?

gfsward

Reaction score
That's some axie poop that i haven't been able to clean out yet. :eek:

HayleyK

Reaction score
Oh no I meant near her vent. I had a very sick axolotl who turned very skinny, lost his fun and had this dark matter underneath which was a bacterial or parasitic problem.

gfsward

Reaction score
Did it look like this? Its been there for some time, I just thought I missed some little presents from my axies and have tried to take out as much of it as I can whenever I'm home.

Attachments

• CAM00804.jpg
    CAM00804.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 230

HayleyK

Reaction score
It looked more like little specks of dirt on her skin mostly the underside.. I would be inclined to take her the vets to clear anything too sinister.

gfsward

Reaction score
Ok, I don't see anything on her. Just on the tank bottom.
I'm going to take her to the vet on Monday if no one knows on here before then. The vet near me is closed on weekends.

layna

Reaction score
Have you tried offering her wax worms or black worms, these are very fatty and apparently axies really like them, just to get a bit of weight back on her.

Your tank temp is around 19C right? This is the higher end of the scale for axies s if you cant get her to the vet, fridging should be considered to slow her metabolism and keep her cooler :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1