Help please

katdust

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just a couple days my nibblet(the name of my axlotle) was trying to eat but kept throwing up the work and when she final got the worm down she threw it up the next day, she also has a weird bump where her tail meets her body i have 2 pictures. please help i don't know whats wrong with her i feed her ever 2 day and earthworms

Attachments

• helpniblet1.jpg
    helpniblet1.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 191
  • helpneblet2.jpg
    helpneblet2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 187
wich should be higer nitrate or nitrite

I wouldn't fridge her. It's a stressful thing to do and is done with severe illness or injury, constipation and impaction. If your tank is cycled it should read 0 ammonia and nitrite and under 40ppm nitrate.

Hello :D
The 'lump' behind her back leg means she may be a he, its called a cloaca and is basically your axies private parts.

What is that substrate you have her on?
What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
What is your water temp?
Do you have a filter? Or any hides/plants in your tank?

He may be throwing the worm up because he isnt hungry (your axie doesnt look thin) Or if that substrate is gravel, it may have been eating it and this can lead to impaction.

Hello :D
The 'lump' behind her back leg means she may be a he, its called a cloaca and is basically your axies private parts.

He may be throwing the worm up because he isnt hungry (your axie doesnt look thin) Or if that substrate is gravel, it may have been eating it and this can lead to impaction.

I can't believe no one pointed these things out sooner x) Thank god you're on point, Layna.

the substrate is black sand
her/him nitrate is 0 ppm and nitrate 0 ppm
i have a filter
and the water temp is normaly between 60-65

did you cycle your tank before putting her (or him in this case) in the tank? I'm guessing you didn't as nitrate is 0, take him/her out (into a cycled tank!) then cycle the one s/he is currently in and put her back into it.

did you cycle your tank before putting her (or him in this case) in the tank? I'm guessing you didn't as nitrate is 0, take him/her out (into a cycled tank!) then cycle the one s/he is currently in and put her back into it.

If OP has another already cycled tank, wouldn't they have put the axolotl in there in the first place? Also it is pretty easy to cycle while in tank without making the animal suffer. If the levels are off the chart then maybe move it to a tub while you get them back down no?

If this info is wrong feel free to correct me.

Here is the cycling page for OP if they didn't know how: Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

so can i cycle the tank with my axlotle sill in there?

Taken from the link from above.

Cycling with animals
NitrogenCycle.jpg
" The majority of established aquariums were cycled with fish or other aquatic organisms. While this is an effective way to cycle a tank, it can be lethal to the animals unless conducted properly. Some hobbyists consider this method cruel, as it exposes the animals to ammonia.
When cycling with animals, it is important to under-stock the tank with animals, feed them as little as possible, and remove uneaten food and other waste promptly. Care must be taken to test the water daily for ammonia and nitrite. If dangerous levels are found, large scale water changes are needed to avoid sickness or death of the animals."

this is now something hanging out does this mean hes dead if i don't take him t a vet?

Attachments

• helpnibblet3.jpg
    helpnibblet3.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 175
You need to cycle your tank, if your doing it with the axie in there never let ammonia or nitrite get above 0.5ppm.
Once your getting readings of nitrAte, dont let that get above 40ppm.
You need to be testing for ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte and ph whilst your cycling the tank.
You will most likely have to do 10-20% daily water changes until your tank is cycled, then switch to weekly 20-30% changes.

Your axie is a boy, its going to have 'balls'. The black stuff looks like your sand stuck to it.

Are you sure that is sand? It looks a lot like gravel and i can see sharp bits in it, did you sift through it before you added it?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back