Trouble breeding.

o 116 o

Reaction score
Country
United States
As the title suggests, I'm having trouble getting my axolotls to breed. I'm wonder if perhaps I'm doing something wrong. The only thing I can think of is that I've been keeping a male and female together, and if somehow this effects their willingness to breed? Should I separate them and then reintroduce the male?

They're in a 40 gallon tank with the water temperature around 63 F. I have two really small filters for minimal water movement. There's no gravel, plastic plants, and a few decorations. Both male and female are big and healthy. I'm fairly certain they are both old enough to breed. (Pretty sure they're both over a year)

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 482464_10203194196562722_1671885238_n.jpg
    482464_10203194196562722_1671885238_n.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 288
Sometimes axies just dont feel like it. My males are currently laying their spermatophores all over the tank, my female isnt the slightest bit interested haha.

They'll breed if/when they want to. You could try separating them for a few days, you could chill the tank and letting it warm up.

You could try candles and romantic music, but they'll only breed if THEY want to, not always when YOU want them to.

You could maybe add some photo's of both sexes so we can confirm that you have both sexes :D

They're certainly the correct genders haha. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow though.

Also... I'm not really concerned about them breeding NOW or when I want them to, I'm concerned because I added the male in September and I feel like that's an awfully long time for them to be together without breeding. I'm worried there is something I'm doing that's detrimental to their health.

Get stressed, have a bad day, lose your car keys.

Axolotls lay eggs when you are lease prepared and most busy with the other facets of life ;)

(*cough* during my exams)

But seriously, sometimes you can't 'force' something to happen, you just have to wait very patiently

My axies have lived together from around 6 months, theyre now around 15 months and have not bred ever. My males have been leaving stuff around for 3 months now.
My lady is fussy and that suits me :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back