Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

• Axolotls are illegal in California. Please read this thread for detailed information and links to the actual laws: https://www.caudata.org/threads/axolotls-are-illegal-in-california-here-are-the-relevant-laws.30779/
  • Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!
  • Welcome to Caudata.org, the Newt & Salamander Information Portal.

We are the longest running community for amphibian enthusiasts on the Internet. Our primary goal is the sharing of information on the maintenance and breeding of newts and salamanders in captivity.

Right now you are viewing our community as a guest. This gives you limited access to our forum and resources. For example, your ability to view conversations in our "Advanced Topics" section is restricted, and guests can view but not respond to "for sale" or "want" ads. Join our free community and get full access, post questions, your own photo albums, message other members, and other features. Registration is fast, simple and totally free so please, click the register link today! Problem? Please use the contact link at the bottom of the page.

For care info, Caudata Culture is the site for you. Axolotls? The Axolotl Site is the best on the net.

Question: Threw up/Spit out Earthworms Normal?

Swampie

Reaction score
I was told that I should switch my Axies over to earthworms after discussing their size. They have previously been on "bloodworm" cubes.

I purchased some Red Wigglers from PetSmart. They're small, about 4 inches long and very skinny. I cut them into 1/3 and fed my 2 axolotls from feeding tongs. They were VERY receptive and ate them right away.

I was not sure of how many to feed them, I had been feeding 3-5 small bloodworm cubes daily. I thought 3 would be a good start. They ate every bite.

Well, 5 minutes later, someone had spit theirs back out on the floor of the tank. I wasn't sure who, and I wasn't sure if it was just them spitting them out or vomiting them up. I took my turkey baster and sucked them out of the tank, not being sure of what the situation was.

So my 2 questions are:
1.) Was this too much food?

2.) Did they throw them up, or just spit them out. Remember it was about 5 min after I fed them.

ladygodiva35

Reaction score
Mine do the same thing sometimes. Even when I cut them into bite size pieces. Mine seem to only like the red wigglers every other day. They refuse to eat it daily.

auntiejude

Reaction score
First of all you need to understand that axie physiology is not the same as ours - they do not puke in the way that you might imagine for a human. They can regurgitate food if they eat too much, sometimes days later, and they may reject unusual food after swallowing it.

When switching from one food to another you can expect some kind of reaction - this is normal. Try again tomorrow. It's not about the size, shape or taste of the food - it's just that it's not what they are used too.
It could be they are reacting to the whole 'live wriggly food' feeling in their bellies. The other thing to consider is that red wrigglers (dendrobaena) can excrete a defensive bitter slime when something tries to eat them. You axies may not like this at first, but they will get used to it. You can try blanching the worms and see if your axies prefer them dead to start with - no slime and no wriggling, but they'll get used to the taste.

Swampie

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies! That is very comforting to know that this is common. I've skipped a day to let them rest, and am going to give it another go tonight. We shall see.

Swampie

Reaction score
Okay, Swamp Thang ate it's worm.

Pinky bit it, was scared of it, tried to eat it and fought it and I'm pretty sure has given up trying. lol

Going tomorrow to pick up bloodworms.... :-/

layna

Reaction score
If you buy it more bloodworms it will continue to refuse the earthworm.
Try blanching the worm by pouring some boiling water over it, then immediately adding cold, so you kill the worm but dont cook it!
Then try offering it to your axie, when your axie is hungry enough it WILL eat the earthworms :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire... +1