Considerable size differences

lovesheraxies

Reaction score
Country
Canada
These babies are all 14 weeks old, I'm kinda worried about the two smaller ones. Granted the smaller wild is a dwarf so that may be his excuse along with the deformed tail it has but what on earth is the golden's excuse? All of these babies have been raised and fed the exact same way so I don't understand. The wild dwarf is about an inch and a half long with the golden coming in at about 2 inches and skinny although it eats quite a bit. The other two wilds are 3 and just a bit over 3 and eat everything in sight, I originally had the golden in with them but they grew like weeds and I became worried it may get eaten or bullied so I removed it. I have the bigger ones in a 20 tank but right now they are in a holding bowl until tomorrow when I'm done remodelling their tank. Anyways, any insight?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 207
And the two bigger wilds.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 161
It happens I suppose.

I have some that are tiny compared to others at 7 weeks old

IMG_20140206_083745301.jpg

Are you exactly the same size as other people your age? Or your siblings? I know I'm not!

All axies grow at thier own rate. As long as they are getting the right nutrition and are healthy I wouldn't worry. My first batch of axies came in 2 sizes, average and HUGE - the smaller ones are 4.5 - 5" and the biggest ones just over 6" at 16 weeks.I also had one that got bullied out when I fed the group and he was significantly smaller than the others at 10 weeks, I separated him and fed him up and he has now ovetaken 2 of his siblings.

Okay, well thanx. Just concerned because my dwarf wild was only 1.5 inches a month ago and someone here had posted it was concerning then, I wasn't overly worried then but when I noticed the golden was quite smaller then my other two wild I thought I'd ask. I have some babies from my second and third clutches that are longer in length then these two squirts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back