Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dead Tiger

Mister Sosorum

Reaction score
I recently purchased my first salamander and it is dead. I provided it with a 20-gallon tank filled with about 2 inches of sphagum moss substrate. I dug it a burrow, provided a shallow water-bowl, gave it a couple of other places to hide (made of stone or cork) and put a couple of plants in the tank (one real and one made of silk). I kept the substrate on one half of the tank (the half with the burrow) moist with a spray-bottle (filled with spring water from Barton Springs in Austin, Texas - right from where it was bubbling out of the Earth). The tiger went immediately into the burrow and did not want to come out. I gave it chopped-up, live earthworms, placed right outside of the burrow (which it did not eat). I spritzed the tank with water enough to keep things moist. I also turned the light on each morning and turned it off each evening. The temperature stayed at ~70 degrees Fahrenheit (about 21 celcius).

It did just fine for two days, and then I found it sitting on dry substrate looking pretty bad - very dry. It was only a couple of inches from the water bowl, but did not appear to be crawling toward it. I placed into the water (careful to allow it to breathe) and came back in the morning. It is definitely dead.
It was a ~6inch (15cm) adult tiger.

I've included as much detail here as possible. Maybe it was sick, maybe it was stressed (it took two days to ship), but it was not able to survive.
I'd like to purchase another, but, before I do, I'd like to be sure I'm providing a proper environment for a salamander to survive. If I did not care for it properly, I'd like to know what I can do differently next time.

Thanks everybody!

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 240

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Your set up sounds pretty good. However, I would not use sphagnum unless I tested for acidity - risky. There shouldn't be a 'dry area' in a tigers enclosure. Substrate should be moist but not wet. A substrate of 50:50 organic topsoil and coco-fiber at a depth of 4-6" is good. The animal was likely stressed and no telling under what conditions it had been maintained before you acquired it. Have a read thru this:

Caudata Culture Articles - Tiger Salamander 101

Mister Sosorum

Reaction score
I read through it and there are a few changes I'll be making. The substrate is the main thing.
I was keeping half of the tank drier than the other half to give the salamander an option; room to pick what it preferred.

I've got one more question involving how the salamander was kept before I got my hands on it. I ordered from this website. Perhaps it has a reputation I don't know about? At any rate, I'd prefer to purchase one in person or catch one myself, but the state of Texas does not allow that. If there's another thread that discusses where to get salamanders, then I'll go there to ask this question.

Thank you very much for your help!!!

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
Alright, an Austinite! The main thing that I have to say about your setup is that I agree with regard to the sphagnum moss. Some other substrates that would work great are Eco-earth and coconut peat. Also, I realize that Barton Springs is incredibly clean, but it might be just a tad safer to use bottled spring water. I prefer Ozarka, but any brand should be fine. I've never kept a terrestrial salamander, but from my experience with high humidity animals, you should mist once a day, and the substrate should hold in the humidity. The rest of your tank seems fine.

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
As for that site, I believe that most animals from there are wild-caught. Although tiger salamanders are pretty hardy, it certainly could've had an illness in the first place. I would suggest trying to find a local breeder.

Mister Sosorum

Reaction score
Lago Vista! Nice!

I've purchased a new substrate - eco-earth topsoil - and I've mixed in coco fiber. I'll go with bottles Spring Water from now on; hopefully that'll do it.

I'll look for a local breeder but from what I understand, Tigers cannot be sold in Texas. I wouldn't be opposed to driving up to Oklahoma or over to Louisiana if I have to though. I didn't like the idea of a salamander being delivered via mail, but it was really the only way I could find to get one.

Thank you very much for your advice!

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
Hm. Maybe a non-native species? You could also try looking for other salamanders. Blue-spotted salamanders, spotted salamanders, and marbled salamanders all have similar care.
By the way, you don't happen to work at the nature center, do you?

Mister Sosorum

Reaction score
That's certainly an option.... We'll see how it works out =)

I actually work at the University, but I'm no stranger to the Nature Center haha

Ominojacu

Reaction score
the Coconut fiber works well, what I do with mine is to screen off the bottom two inches of the tank and fill it with water, and have at least six inches of substrate on top of this. The reservoir of water keeps the substrate at the right moisture level, so much so, I don't think I have added water in over two years. For new imports I mix up a batch of Amphibian ringers solution and bathe them in this for at least 24 hours, to make sure they are well hydrated and electrolytes balanced, I use ringers for all my new herps, does wonders.

Mister Sosorum

Reaction score
Thank you so much! You just soak them in this solution for a full 24 hours? Is that not too much for them?
Also, where do you purchase or how do you mix your solution?

Devalight

Reaction score
Sometimes when you buy animals mail order, they just don't make it, no matter what you do. I like the approach of mixing materials for the substrata rather than using just one material. I have had success with mixing topsoil and cocofiber.

Mister Sosorum

Reaction score
That does make sense. The idea of one of these little guys spending two days in a box being thrown about is not a happy one =/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1