Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Wound on side

randybal

Reaction score
I have an axolotl that has a wound on its side. When I first noticed it it had kind of white skin looking stuff hanging off of it which has since gone away. It looks like it has gotten healthier and I have been watching it but in the past day or so it looks like the would has extended to the top a little bit. I am just looking for information on if anyone knows what it is and if there is any special care that I should be doing for it.

Attachments

• 20140208_200132.jpg
    20140208_200132.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 132

auntiejude

Reaction score
Do you know how the injury occurred? Axies heal very well, but if the wound doesn't appear to be healing it may be infected - do you have any other photos? It's hard to tell from that picture.

And PLEASE get rid of that gravel substrate - it's rough and small enough for your axie to eat, and it could become impacted in his gut or seriously damage him inside.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1