Filter Question

Xeraki

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 5-15 gallon Aqua-Tech HOB power filter (unopened). I got it almost a year ago when I first started gathering materials for my axolotls. However, I recently read some reviews that weren't so great for this filter.

Do any of you have this filter? Is it alright, or should I look into getting a different HOB filter before I begin cycling my tank?

The reviews for the penguin power filter were pretty good.. it's a bit more expensive though. Or the Tetra Whisper.. hm.

I have the aqua tech and the whisper 10i models. I would not recommend them for axolotls. The whispers kind of overflow after a while and carbon filtration cartridges are not the best for long term cycled tanks. The aqua tech created a lot of flow in my tank and if you are starting with a young axolotl will stress it out. A sponge filter is a good option (cheap, pretty effective, and no flow). My best advice is when choosing a filter think of one axolotl creating the mess of about 10 messy fish. You want a good filter that says its for a tank double the size you have but you'll still be doing weekly water changes at least. Most of those filters are rated for very minimally stocked tanks.

I've never had one, but I've never heard great things about aqua tech either.

If you're looking into other filters, you could go with a sponge filter. Cheap, great biological filtration, and no expensive cartridges to change. (And no cycle crashes from changing cartridges)

I have a 10 gallon and a 20 gallon long, so I know I need to get a new filter for the 20g.

The sticky on filters says that sponge filters aren't very efficient. It says power/HOB filters are ok as long as you disperse the water going back into the tank (which I am prepared to do). That's why I got a HOB filter originally.. I just got concerned when I saw the bad reviews on the specific filter I got.

I read the article in the sticky - it isn't correct. It says "Mechanical filtration only, and not very efficient"

That's incorrect. There are three types of aquarium filtration: biological, mechanical, and chemical.

A sponge filter is THE BEST biological filter - it houses the beneficial bacteria the most efficiently in my opinion. This is the most important thing your filter does - aids in keeping your tank cycled by providing a home for the bacteria.

It is also a mechanical filter, but not for bigger particulate. But you're doing this yourself when you suction out your Axie's poo with a syphon/turkey baster. So that's taken care of.

Last is chemical filtration, which in my opinion isn't necessary in a tank at all. This is what carbon does, but it's best for removing medication from your water. (and that's all I'd ever use it for). A sponge filter has no chemical filtration, obviously.

So yes, I would definitely recommend a sponge filter for an axie tank. It doesn't create any current at all and I've had the most success using them. There are a few other things inaccurate about that article the sticky links to - someone needs to have a look at that, lol.

Okay, thank you so much. I'd hate to get this all set up and then have unhappy axies, haha! Which sponge filter do you recommend?

Well this is the one I use:

Amazon.com: Jardin Aquarium Fish Tank Biochemical Sponge Filter Air Pump: Pet Supplies
Cheap and effective.

You will also need an air pump to attach to it:
Amazon.com: Tetra 77851 Whisper Air Pump, 10-Gallon: Pet Supplies

And airline tubing:
Amazon.com: Lee's Sleek Airline Tubing, 25-Foot, Black: Pet Supplies

And possibly a check-valve so water doesn't go back up the tube and ruin your air pump when you turn it off for cleaning or the power goes out. Or you could keep a loop in the line at all times.

They are rated on size. The larger the sponge the more beneficial bacteria (biological filter) can be housed in it. I've seen these in a lot of tanks and they are relatively cheap. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...ef=AA&CAWELAID=530005150000082916&cagpspn=pla
Maybe go with the large or XL?

As for carbon filtration it really is a pain and sooo unnecessary unless you have specific chemicals you need to remove from the water. I have a canister filter filled halfway with carbon and the rest with fiber. That way I can keep the fiber once I take out the carbon and not have to worry about starting all over.

To clarify the one I use is in a 10 gallon tank, so like Boomsloth said you might want to find a bigger one for a 20 gallon. Or get two. x3

As for carbon filtration it really is a pain and sooo unnecessary unless you have specific chemicals you need to remove from the water.

I second this.

Sweet, thanks! And that filter is sufficient for a 20 gallon tank?

-whoops, I didn't see the reply.

Cool! I think I'll get two.. so I'll need two air pumps to support both of them? (or one that has a split airway)? And I don't have to change those sponges, do I?

Also, how do you seed one of these for cycling? I was going to get some used filter media from a lfs, like several sources on fishless cycling said to do (unless that's a bad idea too? haha)

You can get a T valve to split the air from the one pump to both filters. Nope, you don't have to ever change the sponges! Not until they fall completely apart (which hasn't happened for me yet) You just clean them every now and then when they get super gunky by squeezing them gently in used tank water (never tap water - kills the bacteria!)

You can seed them with another sponge (the sponges are removable) or if the media is something else (say, ceramic rings) you can wrap it in some filter floss (orrr pantyhose that's never been used for anything else) and hang it in the tank. Seeding is a very good idea! It will definitely help your cycle right along.

okayy so you can get one air pump that feeds into both of them. I bought one from petco that already has two outputs so I can connect two air lines into it. Just make sure its powerful enough for the filters. It shouldn't be that expensive, mine was ~$20. To successfully seed the media I would put the used media into the tank with the sponge filters running. Now the important thing to remember is that you'll need an ammonia source otherwise the bacteria will die. You can sprinkle some fish flakes or use pure ammonia, just keep it between 0.25-4ppm (this is without an axolotl in the tank). With an axolotl you'll need to keep that at 0.25 and under. Do water checks every day until you read 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and about 10-20 nitrates. never let your nitrates get over 40ppm and you'll be fine :) Good luck

Thank you so much Kaini and Boomsloth! You were very helpful :) I really appreciate it!

You're very welcome! S'what we're here for. Good luck!

No, there aren't instructions xD

See the little clear tube running along the big tube on the sponge filter? Put the end of the aquarium tubing over it then attach the other end to your air pump. Simple! You can cut the tubing if its too long. The airline tubing, not the sponge filter xD

I hope that was semi clear? You can also look on YouTube for tutorials.

Haha, no that made sense! The little elbow joint at the top.. does it need to be underwater too?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back