More eggs!

wolfheart2112

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Morgan
So my lovely axies have bred again. Glenn (melanoid female) and Axel (wildtype male). This morning I was feeding my Jan. 16th clutch, only have 5 (2 wilds, 1 maybe melanoid, 1 maybe leucistic, and 1 maybe golden albino) and found about 57 eggs in the tank! So I'm looking forward to the variety of types I might find. My question is, how often do axolotls breed? I didnt think they would breed again for a few more months. Should I expect more eggs or is she done for now? How many should I try and raise out of this new clutch? I do have homes for the first 5 (I plan on keeping 2 myself). The 5 have started growing front legs, so when should I try and sell them (3/4 more weeks I'm assuming?
Thanks so much and hope I can learn more about these cute little babies!!

I'll try and upload pictures later when I get home from school

They can breed about every 3 weeks, but you shoudn't let them because the female will become exhausted. I would separate your male and female for a while and let her recover after this batch. Batches are ususally hundreds, I doubt she has finished laying yet.

It's up to you how many you raise, but bear in mind how much space they take up once they start growing - with 6 babies once they get to 2" to a 60L tank - how much space do you have?

Conventional wisdom says you can rehome babies once they have thier back legs, but I prefer to wait until 12 weeks or 3-4" when they are a little more robust. My LFS won't take them under 4" because they are too fragile.

How did you do the LFS approach? Did you have to educate them on proper care? I'm thinking about trying this, but worry about their care.

There are 2 LFSs in my area I spoke to - the ones I got my axies from originally. I now refuse to deal with one of them because after talking to them they insisted that their axies are fine in a brightly lit tropical tank with gravel.:nono:

The one I sell through has a guy who keeps axies himself ( in fact his GF just bought 2 of mine) and they have a great setup. I went in when I first had eggs and asked them if they would be interested in some locally bred axies, they said yes, we went from there.

- how much space do you have? .

Tank space isn't a problem, I have loads of 10 gallons, glass containers for when they are small, and large tubs for when they get about 2" big. I was just curious about the amount of care 52 eggs/juvies if they hatch would take. I am willing to take the challenge of raising the 52 eggs :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back