What filter should I buy

salamandergod

Reaction score
Country
United States
In a week or two I plan on buying 2-4 two inch axolotls from someone local. I already have my five gallon setup for them with a weak sponge filter and sand substrate. When they have grown out of that tank I have a 46 gallon bow front tank that the axies will be transferred to. I know that they do not like moving water so my question is what size tank should the filter be rated for. I am hoping to get an internal or hang on back filter just because they are cheap. Thanks for the responses ahead of time.

Please don't add sand while your axies are so small. It can get impacted if the eat it, sand is usually recommended for 4-5" upwards.

I swear by cannister filters. Whatever you decide to buy you need one that is recommended for the size of your tank and it should turn over the volume in your tank 4 times an hour. So for a 46gal tank you'll need one rated for 1600+ gal per hour. You can break up any current with a spray bar and ornaments/plants in the tank.

I am using the first canister filter I have ever used on my axolotl setup and so far I am very happy with it. I have an AquaNova. The instructions were horrible and it was a pain to prime but once running, I didn't have any issues and it is super quiet. I have actually had to double check it is still working quite a few times as I was so surprised at how quiet it was. I would definitely recommend a canister filter with spray bar. :D

Thanks for the answers. I will make sure to take out the sand and have a bare bottom so the axies don't eat it. I guess that I thought that axolotls couldn't have a high power. I'll search around for a larger filter with a spray bar to keep the current a minimum. Also when do you guys recommend I take them out of my 5 gallon and put them in my 46?
Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back