Question: Name suggestions please! :)

GreerDalrymple

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Greer
I've had this big lovely girl for just under a month now, & i STILL haven't thought of a suitable name for her :confused:
Also, can anyone tell me what 'type' of axolotl she is; colour wise?

She is: Shy in nature, very tolerant of surroundings/tankmates etc, generally slow & gentle (I think she may be old), when she is frightened she can swim very fast, & the first worm always gets her swimming though apart from that you barely see her move.
9 inches in length

In January at her old home she was living outside in the Australian heat in a small tank with tiny pebbles & barely any water above her in the tank. They told me she was able to withstand temperatures over 30 degree's Celsius & that she was an unwanted christmas present. They were feeding her solely on meal worms.

I'm very picky with names so if anyone has any uncommon names or names they especially like, don't hesitate to through some in! Thanks :happy:

Attachments

• 4th Feb 2014 (3).jpg
    4th Feb 2014 (3).jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 228
  • 17th Jan 2014 (1).jpg
    17th Jan 2014 (1).jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 185
  • 26th Jan 2014 (7).jpg
    26th Jan 2014 (7).jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 19th Jan 2014 (4).jpg
    19th Jan 2014 (4).jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 167
  • 26th Jan 2014.jpg
    26th Jan 2014.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 206
She is a beautiful golden albino!
As for names - any other than Toothless will do, there are far too many of those!
Aurelia means golden, as does Gilda, Dora, Orla, Cressida, and Rhiannon.

She looks like a Matilda to me.

As for names I don't know how unique/cliched you like

But I thought of ...
helia = "of the sun"
tonatiuh (toh-nah-tee-uh) was the Aztec sun god, although can pass off as a girl name I think.
Aura /aurora because she's kinda reflective..

Wow picking names for someone else is hard.

P.s auntiejude if you're still on this thread - can goldens have non-albino eyes?

Thanks a lot for determining that, that's what i thought she was, I just wasn't sure about the shiny spots!
Aurelia & Cressida are both quite pretty names, I like that there is some meaning behind them. Thanks a lot, you just gave me some great inspiration & i just found these 3 online:
- Oribelle (Latin)
- Kanaka (Indian)
- Dior (French)

Stil tossing up & very open to suggestions still, I'm a fussy one! >.<

I do not get genetics. At all.. Im like a 5 year old getting taught algebra. Soo.. It's impossible for it to be "golden" if it has normal eyes...

I do not get genetics. At all.. Im like a 5 year old getting taught algebra. Soo.. It's impossible for it to be "golden" if it has normal eyes...

It seems that way. From that thread leucistics cannot be golden as well.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...etics-question-leucistic-x-golden-albino.html

Here is a different thread saying someone did breed some golden leucistics. I don't know what to believe anymore lol.

Also not to derail this thread: Oribelle is quite a beautiful name. :)

P.s auntiejude if you're still on this thread - can goldens have non-albino eyes?

A golden albino has yellow colour and iridophores by definition (genes are D/- AX/- and a/a). The m/m (melanoid) genes eliminate iridophores and reduce xanthaphores. The ax/ax (axanthic) genes eliminate xanthaphores and iridophores, and d/d (white) prevents any color pigments migrating from the neural crest (head and spine).

Therefore if an albino appears yellow but has no iridophores or eye ring it's not golden, it may be melanoid.

If you have a yellow leucisitc (with black eyes) it's probably an older animal that has a build up of riboflavins in their skin. Or just colour variation.

All albinos have pink/pale eyes.

Does that answer your question?

Last edited:
A golden albino has yellow colour and iridophores by definition (genes are D/- AX/- and a/a). The m/m (melanoid) genes eliminate iridophores and reduce xanthaphores. The ax/ax (axanthic) genes eliminate xanthaphores and iridophores, and d/d (white) prevents any color pigments migrating from the neural crest (head and spine).

Therefore if an albino appears yellow but has no iridophores or eye ring it's not golden, it may be melanoid.

If you have a yellow leucisitc (with black eyes) it's probably an older animal that has a build up of riboflavins in their skin. Or just colour variation.

All albinos have pink/pale eyes.

Does that answer your question?

Thanks for attempting to explain it to me but still I don't understand. I won't ever understand axolotl genetics.

So this axolotl isn't a golden albino because it's got the gold ring in its eye, but that's impossible to be a golden axolotl with normal eyes.. Right?

So what would you class this axolotl?

If it has pink eyes and shiney iridophores its golden albino.

If it has pink eyes with no shiney ring its not.

Easy!

Since we're on the subject of names that mean golden, you could always use mine! :p

Zerrin means "made of gold" or "golden" so I guess that would fit in there too. It's also a girl's name that doesn't really sound like one, so if she ends up being a he it wouldn't be too weird.

I understand what to look for to determine if it's a golden albino but this axolotl has a golden shiny ring it's eyes. I am so confused :confused: :(

Am I just repeating myself and you giving the same answer but it's just going straight over my head :lol: ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back