Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Behaviour

sweetypie87

Reaction score
Hi guys I have 2 axolotls toothless and mushu, I have had them for nearly 3 weeks now, they have been doing really well and eating every other day on bloodworm. They have been acting weird this morning, they have mad spells of darting around there tank which they haven't done before, there knocking the rocks and I'm worried they may hurt themselves, I'm also wondering if this is normal as I'm a 1st time owner. They are currently in a small tank atm as they are around 3 months old. Would it be ok to transfer them into there 2ft tank, I wondered if there behaviour could be down to the tank. Also is it ok to start them on earthworms now. Thank you :)

auntiejude

Reaction score
What are your water quality parameters? What is your cleaning regimen?
How big are your axies?
What else do you have in the tank?
What substrate do you have?
Can you post a photo of your axies and their tank?

sweetypie87

Reaction score
Hiya water parameters are all normal. I'm currently doing a 10% water change every other day when they are fed. They don't yet have a filter as there in a small tank as there onlt 3 months old and not very big. They don't have any substrate it's a bare bottom, they only have rocks and a cave in there. I also have an Indian almond leaf in there as they had a few legs missing when I got them. Not sure how to put pic up on post but there pics on profile x

Kaini

Reaction score
Define normal? Ammonia and Nitrite should be 0. A 10% change may not be enough in a small, unfiltered tank.

What is your water temperature?

It may be best to go ahead and move them to the bigger tank, if that tank is filtered and cycled. Also, you can start them on earthworms when they're big enough to swallow them. You can cut the earthworms up into little pieces to make it easier.

sweetypie87

Reaction score
Water temp is 18 never goes above 20, I have been home now for nearly 3hrs now and they are absolutely fine, think they were just having a bit of a moment lol, from other advice I've been given from owners I've been told there's do the same an is normal. I will be starting them on earthworms the weekend when I can get to shop to get some. If they don't take the worms should persist or feed them the bloodworm again, don't want them to go hungry lol. I will move them into there 2ft tank next week as I am off work but until then I will increase the water change x

auntiejude

Reaction score
If they are 3 months (2-3 inches?) they should be fed every day, you can feed them bloodworms or small earthworms at that size.

Is your bigger tank cycled? If you have them in a smaller tank for now you have the opportunity to cycle the tank fully before moving them in. Small axies can be upset by a strong flow from a filter, make sure you break up any current wih a spray bar, plants or ornaments.

The most likely explanation for the dashing about is one of them nipped the other, feeding them more may alleviate this. Or one of them could have got caught on an ornament etc and suffered a minor injury, keep an eye out for injuries and fungus for a few days.

sweetypie87

Reaction score
Ah that could be it I was told to feed every other day, thanks for that, the big tank is fully cycled. It's been up and running for a few months. They don't have any injuries apart from missing limbs that are regrowing but they were like that when I had them. I was thinking that maybe they don't have enough space to be able to get away from each other and have there own space. I have re tested and everything is 0 x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!