Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How many axolotls are in your tank?

Boomsloth

Reaction score
I am a college student living on campus this semester and I have 9 lovely juveniles. In about 3 months I will be moving off campus where I will finally be able to set up my aquariums without having to worry about size or how many I have. I do have some options though. I have back home a 120gallon tank that is just collecting dust, This would be the hardest to transport but the more aesthetically pleasing. I also have wayy too many 10 gallon tanks and a 40g breeder tank. I would like to know what is the most axolotls kept in one tank (obviously not overcrowding them).

auntiejude

Reaction score
Since you need 10gal per axie plus some extra the only limit is the size of your tank!
I have 4 adults in a 150L tank, 2 and 3 juvies in 60L tanks, and 20 larvae in 2L tubs.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
I think I should have worded it a little better haha

I'm asking what are the most axolotls any one has housed together without issue. Right now all of mine are together and have no problems with biting or aggression. They are all still pretty young but by the time I move out should be about ~6in. I'm thinking about either doing a setup of 20 gallon/40 gallon tanks for breeding purposes and then keep the 120gallon for show.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
And if any one is concerned about overcrowding in my tank, I've made sure the filtration is capable of handling all the axolotls as well as every other day 50% water changes. In the case of emergencies (biting etc) I have two 10 gallon tanks ready and a 5.5 gallon already cycled. However my building only allows 1 small aquarium so i'm already pushing the limits.

layna

Reaction score
If my workings out are correct, your tank is around 5 foot? But it depends on height/width too.
Assuming its a 5 foot x 1 foot tank, this means youd be able to house 4 axies comfortably with decorations/hides ect but you may be able to get away with having 5 in there :D

The general rule is 1 foot per axie, then an extra foot for hides/plants/decorations/filters :p

I have a 3 foot tank with two axies in and id say i wouldnt want to put another in there

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1