Substrate for Tiger Salamander

haydena

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a tiger salamander (I believe) and I was wondering if the substrate is okay. I have some dry sphagnum moss that came as a bricvk and I made it wet, and some dirt from outside. My salamander seems to enjoy it okay.

Well, it has been said that sphagnum moss has a pH problem that can cut a salamanders life span? and dirt from outside can be okay if no pesticides and fertilizers are used. Most keepers use a mix of organic topsoil and coco fiber(Eco-earth, etc), with at least 4in of substrate. And the substrate should be moist, and not like soaking wet that you can wring it out.

Last edited:
Well, it has been said that sphagnum moss has a pH problem that can cut a salamanders life span? and dirt from outside can be okay if no pesticides and fertilizers are used. Most keepers use a mix of organic topsoil and coco fiber(Eco-earth, etc), with at least 4in of substrate. And the substrate should be moist, and not like soaking wet that you can wring it out.

I honestly wouldn't suggest using dirt from outside.
It could have fertilizers, pesticides, metals, oils, and other harmful things. So in my opinion, its better to be safe than sorry. -Seth

I have had my tiger salamander for three years. He is on a mixture of topsoil, coco fiber and some type of moss in brick form (forest moss? not sure of the brand name). The bagged topsoil has no added fertilizer - its great, but the only problem with it is it is so dry. So I add the moss, but I do not put it in all the areas so if he wants too, he can move to somewhere not so moist (it is a 20 gallon kritter keeper).
The thing is, with central air, the house is desert dry and I like to do something to raise the humidity a bit in the enclosure. This seems to do well for the tiger, and also my Mandarin newts and fire slamanders, who are also terrestrial.

I find tropical soil (not soil at all but the coconut stuff) works well. only thing is if you want to do live plants they will die. organic topsoil around the plants seems to be ok. i use live moss for my sals but only put it in small bunches as they like to dig under it but not walk on it. :eek:

so do not use sphagnum moss? is terrarium moss from a pet store and eco earth fine to use in a tiger salamander terrarium?

I wouldn't even bother with the pet store moss, just get the cheap coconut fiber ('eco earth') blocks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back