Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Picky eater...

Meggersxoxo

Reaction score
My young axies are growing quickly and I have been trying to find a diet for them that stays away from bloodworms (found out that I'm horribly allergic...I got some juices on my hands from the packaging and didn't realize...omg...and I swelled up like a balloon. I've never had such a strong allergic reaction to anything in my life).

So I picked up krill, beef heart and red wigglers (tiny earthworms). I read that beef heart isn't the greatest so I was just going to use it as a treat and not part of their staple diet. My wildtype will nom anything I put in front of him but my gold albino is super finicky. He will go after the earthworms, chomp on them and spit them back out. He also doesn't care for the beef heart. So right now he has been eating just krill. Is there anything else I should be trying to feed him? I just worry that the krill isn't a balanced enough diet by itself.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Have you tried blanching the worms? A new food can be a bit of a challenge for small axies, and going from small dead bloodworm to live wriggly things might be too much at first. Try splashing boiling water over the worm the immediately cooling it with cold - it kills the worm but doesn't cook it.

Don't bother with the beef heart. If the krill is fresh it will do for a short while, if its dried don't use it - anything dried is not very nutritious. You need to persevere with the worms ideally. The other option is pellets.

ladygodiva35

Reaction score
My juvies are the same way. They only want to eat the "candy" type of food and don't want to touch the good stuff they should be eating.

Saskia at first kept spitting the worm out so I'd rotate the red wigglers to every other day and now she's taken to them. But Sage on the other hand is refusing completely. He doesn't care if it's wiggling or blanched. He wants nothing to do with it.

Though he is currently the size Saskia was when I started her on the red worms so he just might need to grow into liking them. He acts like he can't swallow it but has no problem shoving half a cube of blood worms down his throat!

I guess that is like me a cheesecake. :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1