Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl in planted tank

andusbeckus

Reaction score
I want to convert my planted tank to an axolotl tank in the future and have a few questions about them.

1. Is it ok to inject co2 and dose ferts with axolotls?

2. My tank is open top so how far should I keep the water level to be safe?

3. Are plants such as crypts ok at low water temps like 16c-18c?

Thanks in advance

layna

Reaction score
I want to convert my planted tank to an axolotl tank in the future and have a few questions about them.

1. Is it ok to inject co2 and dose ferts with axolotls?

2. My tank is open top so how far should I keep the water level to be safe?

3. Are plants such as crypts ok at low water temps like 16c-18c?

Thanks in advance

Hello, heres my two cents :D
1) No its not okay to add ferts and co2 in their tank, axies are really sensitive when it comes to chemicals and absorb things through their skin.

2) No water level is going to be completely safe, axies can jump! Would a mesh lid not be an option? or a half lid?

3) Its best to go with anubias and java for axie tank temps, i dont know how well your plants will do in low temps, but if you have enough hides and floating plants, you could use a light in there (this would also add a lid and solve question 2 :D)

andusbeckus

Reaction score

Hello, heres my two cents :D
1) No its not okay to add ferts and co2 in their tank, axies are really sensitive when it comes to chemicals and absorb things through their skin.

2) No water level is going to be completely safe, axies can jump! Would a mesh lid not be an option? or a half lid?

3) Its best to go with anubias and java for axie tank temps, i dont know how well your plants will do in low temps, but if you have enough hides and floating plants, you could use a light in there (this would also add a lid and solve question 2 :D)

Thanks for your reply although it wasnt the answer I was hoping for lol

I have seen some heavily planted axolotl tanks around how to people manage these with no ferts etc?

kjnorman

Reaction score
I'm just guessing here, but based on simple biology I would imagine that the nitrogen excreted in axolotl waste is a pretty good fertilizer for the plants.

I actually use the waste water from my axie tank to water my houseplants, and they seem to be doing really well with that.

Have you ever seen hydroponic setups where they raise fish in conjuction with the plants? The plants filter the water for the fish, the fish provide nutrients for the plants.

auntiejude

Reaction score
If you choose the right plants you shouldn't need any fertiliser other than the nitrate produced as waste. Most commercial fertilisers are toxic to axies. I have read that some people keep their plants in pots, and take them out for a spell in a separate fertiliser tub from time to time.

There is a list on here somewhere of plants that do well in the low light and low temp conditions that axies prefer - do a search and you should find it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1