Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Golden Albino Juvenile has red spots on fin edge, whiteish specks on body/gills

usafaux2004

Reaction score
One of my juvies has two red spots on fin, and upon closer inspection, white splotches:confused: on body/gills. No others have anything similar. Thoughts?

usafaux2004

Reaction score
Actually my other gold has the white also, but at some angles it shines yellowy, so maybe those are just the shiny specks? They are in different tanks.

Petersgirl

Reaction score
The red 'spot' looks a little like a small nick - any chance he has caught himself on a sharp ornament, or been nipped by accident by a tank mate (or, amazingly, that he might have nipped himself)? Keeping the water cool and clear should sort that out if it is.

A good way to see if it is a harmless pigmented spot - an iridophore - is to shine a torch at it. If it shines back white/silvery/yellowy then it is an iridophore. My Golden has tons down her tail, with a few on her 'shoulders' and head. If it's fluffy, cottony or comes off when touched it is either fungus or skin shedding, but to be honest, it sounds like an iridophore in my opinion.

Also, I don't want to be rude but he looks a wee bit skinny. Is he on worms? Or is he a picky so and so like my male and only eats when he feels like it? (My boy is slimmer than my female, as males tend to be, but he sometimes downright refuses to eat).

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Probably is a bad angle. Plus males are slim anyways. It's also probably because my female is pretty plumpilicious, and she's my only Golden.

Did you find out what the spots were?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1