Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Shedding Issues with T. granulosa

EntoHerptology

Reaction score
My unsexed T. granulosa has had a shedding issue since I moved it into a new setup. I noticed that the shed skin is flaking and there are still patches of unshed skin attached.

launch

launch

I have no reason to believe that temperature is the issue because these newts thrived in 75 degree waters last summer with no health issues. It may have to do with the water quality because I have not let the new setup cycle, but I have also been making weekly water changes.

The newt has only eaten one mealworm in a period of about a week. When I offer him food, he either very timidly attempts to gulp it inaccurately or shys away from it completely.

sde

Reaction score
The pictures don't work for me for some reason.

75 degrees is pretty darn high! My T. grans tank stays a steady 54-58 F, at least for winter. These are cold water newts, so in the summer ( in the wild ) they are either going to be terrestrial, or in cool water. So that is what I would recommend. I would try to keep the water temp bellow 70 F, but preferably lower.

It is usually a good idea not to have the newts in the tank when the tank is cycling, but if you do, weekly water changes aren't often enough I don't think.

I would try earthworms or night crawlers if I were you. If the newts are aquatic worms will be able survive and wiggle in the water, possibly for several hours.
And from personal experience, I find T. grans likes worms the best. You can also try bloodworms, mealworms, and the like. But they should not be fed as a staple food.

So in my opinion, its a mix of temperature and water perimeters. Oh, and you should be monitoring your water perimeters as often as possible, at least during the cycling period.
Here is a great and popular testing kit. Amazon.com: API Freshwater Master Test Kit: Pet Supplies

Hope this helps! -Seth

EDIT: Also, are your T. grans wild caught? If so, 75 degrees in the water probably isn't a natural temperature.

fabian

Reaction score
Hi,
75 F is much too high, they can tolerate such temperatures for a short time, but in the long run this will kill them. You should immediately lower the temperature to 65 F at least. Those shedding issues (Pictures don't work for me either) are very hard to handle and a sign of a serious illness. Lowering the temperature and giving them good food (mealworms are no good food) like small earthworms (many granulosa prefer small food-items) is a chance to get them well again, but I think it's a hard way to get them back to health.
Good luck
Fabian

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!