Question: New tank made she nervous?

kapooey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kapooey
I have 2 beautiful axies for 10 months, their name are Hikari and Yami. Both of them were in a 10 gallon tank before and the chemical was pretty high at that time. I did 80-90 % water change daily because I worry about all the high range chemical.

But of course, both of them are the most healthy, happy princesses in the world. Couple days before I moved them to the new 20 gallon tank, Yami eats a lot which I already wonder because she doesn't usually eat that much and being "active" of craving food.(usually that will be HIkari)

After a week from now, Yami has been hiding in the decor and avoid me(because I hand feed them bring the food to their mouth...yes I do spoil them a lot) while I was trying to feed her. But Hikari seems to be fine.

I did some change after I moved them to the new tank. I keep an eye on the chemical level and it's good. I only do around 20% of water change (weekly), I feed them 3-4 times a week instead of daily. I also have a chiller which keeps the temp. around 62F, before was around 72F when they were in the 10 gallon tank.

I am not sure is it because of the new environment for her or I did a bit change since I put them in the new tank makes her feel nervous or stress. OR is the temp. makes she doesn't want to eat that much....I am pretty worry because before I have them I had another baby axie and it die. I want to make sure she is ok :(

They're most likely stressed from the move.

Did you cycle your tank? What are your parameters (ammonia, nitrite and nitrates)?

Did you acclimatize them to the new tank by floating? Or did you add them straight in? If you added them straight in could've caused a big temperature shock.

i did cycle the tank. The ammonia is around 0.25, nirtite is around 0.25 and nitrates is around 5.0
When I put them in the tank I turn my chiller to 72F due to their normal temp, then i turn it down 1-2F every hour so they won't get the temp shock. (i did it once long time ago caz i was panic and i saw them twitch...and it scares me a lot=[)

A cycled tank will read ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate under 40. So it looks like you're still cycling. You'll need to do 20% (or until the levels are in a safer zone) water changes everyday until the tank is cycled.

I just added a new axolotl to my tank last night, he didn't come out of hiding until the morning. How long ago did you add them to the new tank?

I had added them in the new tank for a week or so. When I first do the water test all chem were at 0 but pH and ammonia. As I remember ammonia is around 0.25 or lighter.

It would have started off at 0 because there was nothing in there creating the ammonia, since you have now added your axolotls, they create ammonia and you'll need to cycle the tank.
As said above, that means daily water changes of around 10-20% until you get readings of ammonia, 0, nitrite, 0 and nitrate must be less than 40ppm :D
Once you have these readings you should switch to weekly 20% water changes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back