Photo: Just starting my tank!

Ashlimarie83

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Bambi
I have finally got around to being able to put my tank semi-together in preparation for my axolotls at the beginning of April. I will update with pictures when I add things. Feel free to drop me any pointers!

First off, my back is aching having to fill this tank up quart by quart. Never have I longed for a water hose so adamantly...

But it's finally done! For the most part..
get-attachment (1).jpg

I purchased about 10lbs of black play sand and rinsed it about 4 and a half times, but when I put it in, it still left my water a bit cloudy... Also odd clumps sometimes float to the surface. I tried stirring it around a bit to make the clumps stop, but we will see.

I'm going to leave it to try to settle itself since it's really not that cloudy.

Tomorrow If the tank is settled better I will add the dechlorinator/bacterial tabs. Then on to the fish store to get some nice Giant accent rocks and Java moss and ferns!

get-attachment.jpg
Side-note: Not sure why but my spray bay seems to refuse to stick to the side of the tank..Not sure if I should leave it free hanging or what..:confused:

Usually if the sand floats stirring it or pushing it down usually makes it sink.

How big is the axolotl that you are purchasing? Under 5" should be kept on bare bottom because sand can be like gravel to little lotls.

Most local fish shops should have tube suction caps so you can force the tubing into the clip, and then suction it in place if you dont want it to move around :D

If it's a new spraybar the glass probably needs cleaning, it needs to be spotless for the suckers to grip. If it's an old spraybar it may need the suckers replacing, you can buy them from the pet store or ebay, I have to change mine about once a year.
Hope this helps :)

Usually if the sand floats stirring it or pushing it down usually makes it sink.

How big is the axolotl that you are purchasing? Under 5" should be kept on bare bottom because sand can be like gravel to little lotls.

Most local fish shops should have tube suction caps so you can force the tubing into the clip, and then suction it in place if you dont want it to move around :D

I am unsure exactly how big they will be, but I am getting th from a breeder from this site. She is holding them/raising them for me until I get my tank all cycled.and ready.
Also, I have the little clips and suction cups already attached, but it just doesn't want to behave. Its okay for now I suppose.

If it's a new spraybar the glass probably needs cleaning, it needs to be spotless for the suckers to grip. If it's an old spraybar it may need the suckers replacing, you can buy them from the pet store or ebay, I have to change mine about once a year.
Hope this helps :)

The former is very likely. Theres quite a but of fine sand on the glass at the moment. I will have to wipe it down.

Update!

Tank was still a bit cloudy on top from the little floating sand dust, but much better than last night.
I went and bought some bunches of Java moss, a little java fern, and a overhang fake plant (it's suppose to suction cup to the wall). So far, one of the java moss bunches has curled rather nicely around one the hides, the other seems to have taken a liking to attaching to the fake plant, which has decided it hates sticking to the wall no matter what I do.

Ugh. Other than that I did my first water chemistry test and my ph was about 7 even, Ammonia was about 2.0 ppm, Nitrites and nitrates were at 0 ppm.
I added some Tetra start zyme plus to start a bacteria colony so I will test it again in a couple days.

Just finished setting up my tank. I think it went pretty well. I have a cool running led light, which had night, day, and even storm mode settings so when my axies get here I can make it a comfortable level. Besides that, there is plenty of shady spots. I have some Danios in there so far too help feed the bacteria with ammonia and will probably give them away when my axies do arrive.

Quick question if anyone has a moment, I noticed one of my pants is extremely happy and seems to have sprouted a baby. I do not remember what kind of plant this is, so should I pluck it and plant it or will it drop off on its own?

Also, I have heard driftwood promotes algae growth. I have got 4 marissimo algae/moss balls in the tank, but am I at risk for a pesky algae bloom?

Attachments

• 20140227_085912.jpg
    20140227_085912.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 190
  • 20140227_090027.jpg
    20140227_090027.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 157
I don't know anything about plants, but your tank looks fantastic so far!

Hayley is right to caution you about sand with smaller axolotls, but if they are under 5" it should still be ok to use sand if you use a feeding jar or a separate tub to feed them. Basically, make sure they don't have any reason to try and suck food up off the sand bottom.

Just finished setting up my tank. I think it went pretty well. I have a cool running led light, which had night, day, and even storm mode settings so when my axies get here I can make it a comfortable level. Besides that, there is plenty of shady spots. I have some Danios in there so far too help feed the bacteria with ammonia and will probably give them away when my axies do arrive.

Quick question if anyone has a moment, I noticed one of my pants is extremely happy and seems to have sprouted a baby. I do not remember what kind of plant this is, so should I pluck it and plant it or will it drop off on its own?

Also, I have heard driftwood promotes algae growth. I have got 4 marissimo algae/moss balls in the tank, but am I at risk for a pesky algae bloom?

*chortles at 'pants'*

As far as I know algae blooms are caused by high nitrates, I've never heard that about driftwood? So I think it should be fine...

The tank looks good so far!

If the driftwood has never been boiled the water will begin to turn brown as tannins leech out of the wood. Tannins are harmless but water changes are the only real way to remove them besides letting the filter grab them after a few weeks. Tannins make the water a brownish tint.

*chortles at 'pants'*

As far as I know algae blooms are caused by high nitrates, I've never heard that about driftwood? So I think it should be fine...

The tank looks good so far!

Heh, sorry, my new phone has a teeny tiny keyboard.

Also thanks!

I don't know anything about plants, but your tank looks fantastic so far!

Hayley is right to caution you about sand with smaller axolotls, but if they are under 5" it should still be ok to use sand if you use a feeding jar or a separate tub to feed them. Basically, make sure they don't have any reason to try and suck food up off the sand bottom.

Yup, I'm planning on getting a natural looking feeding dish to train them to go there to eat, then when they get big enough I plan on hand feeding them.

New driftwood can sometimes get whitish fungal blooms all over it, especially if it hasn't been boiled before use. As far as I know it's not harmful in any way, it just looks unsightly for a while.

If the driftwood has never been boiled the water will begin to turn brown as tannins leech out of the wood. Tannins are harmless but water changes are the only real way to remove them besides letting the filter grab them after a few weeks. Tannins make the water a brownish tint.

Well dang. It was much too large for me to boil, so I had just let it become waterlogged to sink... well, since I'm still cycling hopefully my water changes will help before the babies get here.

On a side note, I saw all your little lotls on reddit and you were the one who gave me the idea of a little food dish.:p

New driftwood can sometimes get whitish fungal blooms all over it, especially if it hasn't been boiled before use. As far as I know it's not harmful in any way, it just looks unsightly for a while.
Oh no...

Well, does anyone think I should take it back out and try to boiling it? I guess I can try to pour boiling water over it repeatedly...:confused::confused:

Well dang. It was much too large for me to boil, so I had just let it become waterlogged to sink... well, since I'm still cycling hopefully my water changes will help before the babies get here.

On a side note, I saw all your little lotls on reddit and you were the one who gave me the idea of a little food dish.:p
AHh! :eek:my little family is famous! Yeah don't worry too much about the driftwood, I only brought it up because sometimes people freak out when the water turns brownish. It will eventually clear out. Keeping axolotls is some work but its a lot of fun :p

AHh! :eek:my little family is famous! Yeah don't worry too much about the driftwood, I only brought it up because sometimes people freak out when the water turns brownish. It will eventually clear out. Keeping axolotls is some work but its a lot of fun :p

Well thanks very much for your advice and information!
One day I aspire to have a family as beautiful and varied as yours. :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back