Question: Axolotl has cut in lip?

digimattd

Reaction score
Country
United States
Http://m.imgur.com/a/avDwF

Album attached. Housed with a fellow Axolotl with no problems prior. A few tetra in the tank with the understanding of them being a potential meal. He still ate a few pellets today but I'm worried about how healing will work. He was perfect up until recently and I'm not sure how to help him!

Edit: I feel horrible. The loose part looks to be dragging on the floor when he walks. I don't want it getting infected or anything :/

Http://m.imgur.com/a/avDwF

Album attached. Housed with a fellow Axolotl with no problems prior. A few tetra in the tank with the understanding of them being a potential meal. He still ate a few pellets today but I'm worried about how healing will work. He was perfect up until recently and I'm not sure how to help him!

Is there anything sharp in the tank? if this isn't the case then I think the other axolotl might have given him an aggressive kiss. he should heal though. just keep the water perfect and maybe look at some other threads to prevent infection.

Is there anything sharp in the tank? if this isn't the case then I think the other axolotl might have given him an aggressive kiss. he should heal though. just keep the water perfect and maybe look at some other threads to prevent infection.

Not to my knowledge. Poor guy. I'm hoping it heals up quick because if something like that happened to me I know I'd be in a world of hurt. Damn.

Not to my knowledge. Poor guy. I'm hoping it heals up quick because if something like that happened to me I know I'd be in a world of hurt. Damn.

The good thing is he will most likely heal completely over time. Maybe try feeding them at opposite ends of the aquarium or investing in a divider until he is looking a little better.

I would expect a wound like that to heal in few weeks. Trying to figure out the cause of the injury is a always a good idea but sometimes they are nothing more than a fluke occurrence. He appears in good condition and should be capable of healing on his own without much aid.

Providing excellent water quality and a temperature of 15-18°C (60-65°F) is the best preventive measure against infection. Indian Almond leaves can be purchased online and are a good idea to have around for their effectiveness in treating fungal infections.

I'm interested to see his progress, so be sure to give us updates!

I'm also going to post your pictures to make it easier to view for some members.
IuHaF28.jpg

Ac2IRpd.jpg

Gf5zZ9O.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back