Axie Attacked by small pleco!

randybal

Reaction score
Country
United States
I woke up this morning to find my axolotl being sucked on by 2 3 - 4 inch plecos. he seems to have lost most of one side of his gills and as a hole in his side. It doesnt go all the way through to his insides but it is pretty deep. He is moving very little but is still alive. Advice? should i fridge him? I dont know much about them as this s my first one and im still learning. The plecos were being planned to be removed for this reason was just finding them a home. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thank you!

I woke up this morning to find my axolotl being sucked on by 2 3 - 4 inch plecos. he seems to have lost most of one side of his gills and as a hole in his side. It doesnt go all the way through to his insides but it is pretty deep. He is moving very little but is still alive. Advice? should i fridge him? I dont know much about them as this s my first one and im still learning. The plecos were being planned to be removed for this reason was just finding them a home. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thank you!

Its been discussed before that plecos are very bad to house with axolotls for this exact reason. You should remove the plecos and then let the axolotl heal on its own and maybe add some black tea to help its skin heal.

I'll echo Boomsloth. Don't keep fish - especially plecos - with Axolotls! There are clearly dangers to both animals. Remove the plecos right away, of course.

Axolotls are notorious for being great healers - keep him cool and clean (good water parameters) and he should recover.

Axolotls heal well, what you need to avoid is fungal infection, this can be achieved by isolating in a bare tank with clean water and adding almond leaf as a fungal preventative. Some pics of the axolotl would be good.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back