Question: Anyone else notice how juvenile newts wont sink the bottom when swimming?

sde

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Seth
Hi all,

So i am wondering if any of you guys has noticed that juvenile newts don't seem to ever go to the bottom the tank when swimming? I noticed it with my T. granulosa juveniles.
When they get into the water to swim they kind of frantically swim around until they find a plant to rest on. This is normal right? Is it just kind of them not being comfortable in the water yet, sort of like when people first start to learn to swim?
Any thoughts? Thanks! -Seth

My juvenile pyrrhos have always been able to submerge, they went through a period where they hated getting wet at all, but could walk along on the bottom if they had to! Swimming round frantically until they find a plant to cling to sounds like they're stressed to me? Are you sure they're not in their terrestrial stage and are trying to leave the water? Newts bodies go through certain changes once they become terrestrial, among other things their skin begins to go waxy and granular so it repels water and their tail fins are much reduced, maybe the fear of drowning is why they seem to panic in open water?

I noticed my juveniles had to learn how to let an 'air bubble' out before they would sink to the bottom and start swimming/crawling around under water normally. They had this awkward phase right before they went aquatic, but also when they were completely unwilling to submerge themselves.

My juvenile pyrrhos have always been able to submerge, they went through a period where they hated getting wet at all, but could walk along on the bottom if they had to! Swimming round frantically until they find a plant to cling to sounds like they're stressed to me? Are you sure they're not in their terrestrial stage and are trying to leave the water? Newts bodies go through certain changes once they become terrestrial, among other things their skin begins to go waxy and granular so it repels water and their tail fins are much reduced, maybe the fear of drowning is why they seem to panic in open water?

I don't know, I put them in this setup a few days ago, and before that they were terrestrial, so maybe they are still getting used to it.
They were in the terrestrial stage for a few months, so I thought that they would be ready to go semi aquatic.
I have three floats in with them, which takes up about two thirds of the waters surface area. So they have plenty of land. They spend about 1/16 or less of the day in the water, but they might just be getting used to it.

I also heard that juvenile newts grow faster in aquatic setups, is that true? Because I definitely want them to grow fast! I cant wait to see what they look like when they are adults!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back