Question: Gill loss: Biting versus water quality?

digimattd

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone have any photographic evidence of the difference? I've noticed my lotls gills have been looking somewhat thinner although not much has changed aside from me cleaning their tank and moving things around last week. Nitrates have been high as well. Help?

I don't really see much of a difference but that is a beautiful axolotl you have there!

I don't see a difference at all either. Deteriorating gills look shriveled, patchy and crimped/crumpled.

Yeah I don't see a difference either. You are worrying about nothing :) What are your nitrates sitting at?

Yeah I don't see a difference either. You are worrying about nothing :) What are your nitrates sitting at?

That's good to hear, although I definitely thing they look somewhat slimmer. Hopefully it's just my perception :)

Nitrates have been sitting between 20-80 on different days after the cleaning (I'm not great at telling the difference with the chart honestly). I usually do a 10-25% change of tap water with Prime at least once a week, this past week I've changed it twice.

And your nitrites and ammonia? your nitrates should be sitting on around 40.

The gill filaments or feathery stuff can recede or grow depending on water quality and also oxygen in the water. Your axolotl looks great!

And your nitrites and ammonia? your nitrates should be sitting on around 40.

0 and 0. Haven't had a rise in those since I cycled the tank in August.

Also thanks everyone :D, I like to think he's perfect even if he is sporting a lip cut!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back