Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Liquid co2

emmyk

Reaction score
Can I use liquid co2 in my 20 gal Axolotl tank? As a rule of thumb I like to do half the dose of whatever I have to put in there (like when I had to use safe start) so its just one squirt instead of two?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

E

Elise

There are all sorts of products that you can buy and spend a fortune on that is advertised as being essential for success in the planted aquarium - CO2 systems, fertilisers and such. However they are not necessary for the axolotl tank. In general, it is best to avoid addition of any chemicals into the axolotl tank. Axolotl wastes itself can provide essential nutrients for the plants. “Flourish" liquid plant food and "Flourish Excel" from Seachem has been used quite successfully without visible harm to the axolotls but in general it is still best to avoid introducing chemicals or products into the axolotl tank.

Source: Axolotl-Friendly Aquascaping

I have a large number of plants and the axolotl's waste seems to be an adequate fertilizer.

leandrah

Reaction score
I have read a lot of comments about Co2 and Axy tanks and they all say that you should not use it. Its not healthy for the Axolotls. Maybe follow Elise's advise rather

Ari P

Reaction score
Please do not use that stuff - I just posted my horror story with a collection of Strauchii newts - I went from a happy collection of 8 to 1 within just a couple of weeks of starting to use API liquid CO2

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1