Axie gender help?

Fogwatch

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey I'm a prospective owner and totally new to amphibians in general.
I have a tank that's plenty big enough for two axolotls and I think i'd like to get two :happy:

Does anyone have any advice on this? Do males have temperament issues if you keep multiples together? Do females? I'm not entirely sure I'm ready for an accidental breeding pair so two of the same gender would be preferable.

Anyone know?

Also (random afterthought) is it better to introduce them at the same time or separately?

There's no issue with male and male, female and female. I would rather introduce at the same time, but you can also use a divider if you are unsure, that way they can see each other and get used to it. Also be sure they are relatively close in size or someone's leg, gill (or even the whole axolotl) can end up as dinner.

Like hayley said axolotls are pretty fine with male/male, female/female, male/female. Theres that chance that if you get a mixed pair they will breed but other than that they should be fine together. Any issues can be solved by a divider.

Are you planning on getting two adults ? if not it will be pretty hard to figure out gender.

I originally wanted to go with adults for safety's sake. I've heard the young ones can be a bit dicey with a beginner. Some of the other threads I'm snooping through seem to recommend getting juveniles rather than adults so I may go that rout.

So long as its safe with any combination of genders It doesn't really matter to me which they end up being. I just didn't want to put my new friends in an uncomfortable living situation :/

Thanks for the advice!

I originally wanted to go with adults for safety's sake. I've heard the young ones can be a bit dicey with a beginner. Some of the other threads I'm snooping through seem to recommend getting juveniles rather than adults so I may go that rout.

So long as its safe with any combination of genders It doesn't really matter to me which they end up being. I just didn't want to put my new friends in an uncomfortable living situation :/

Thanks for the advice!

I went with the juvenile route, They are pretty hardy at that stage and its cool watching them grow, which is much faster than I expected. However even though my largest is getting closer to 6in now I still can't tell if its a boy or girl. Some people on here will have adult axolotl that they suspect are girls then all of a sudden their boy bits come down.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back