Tip of tail seems to be flaking off

dkeat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just noticed that my Axie's tail is flaking at the end. I don't have a water testing kit but I plan on taking a sample to the pet store to see where it's at. I just did a water change two days ago so I don't see why the water could magically do this to his tail... Does anyone know what usually causes this and if there's something I need to add to my water for medication?

Related Pic:
HQiYg8L.jpg

Investing in a liquid testing kit is the wisest thing to do.

Do you use dechlorinator?
Do you have tank mates?
Do you have sharp ornaments?
What's your filter inlet like?

There have been several occasions where axies have bitten their own tails :lol:

Thankfully axolotls are good healers and should heal up fine, be cautious of fungus and keep the water under 18 degrees celcius, and within the right water parameters.

Investing in a liquid testing kit is the wisest thing to do.

Do you use dechlorinator?
Do you have tank mates?
Do you have sharp ornaments?
What's your filter inlet like?

There have been several occasions where axies have bitten their own tails :lol:

Thankfully axolotls are good healers and should heal up fine, be cautious of fungus and keep the water under 18 degrees celcius, and within the right water parameters.

I do use dechlorinator every water change and I like to let my filter run for about half an hour after water changes before putting him back in. I use a HOB filter and the inlet doesn't really reach too far into the tank, but there's some rocks near it and I have noticed him sitting right under the inlet a couple of times so his tail may have gotten stuck. I try to keep the water at 18 C but it always ends up going to around 24 C and I usually put frozen water bottles in his tank to keep the temp down. Is there anything I can buy to regulate the temperature without having to keep using water bottles? Also there are no other axies in the tank.

24c is almost considered tropical! Way too hot. The other option is a chiller whether you make it yourself or buy one. I would most likely day it's your inlet that have caused it.

Chillers can be a little expensive but are definitely the best at keeping down the temp. The other alternative is to turn down the AC to 18C. I read somewhere that some guy calculated the cost of running a chiller vs running the AC and found it cheaper each month to run the AC. Idk how valid his claims are but just food for thought.

You can also buy cheap desktop fans (like mini fans) that you point at an angle to the surface of the water - I have two for this purpose and use both in summer, one in winter. The downsides to this method are that the fans make your room cold (only really important if it's one you spend a lot of time in) and that the water tends to evaporate from the surface, so you need dechlorinated water available to top it up.

Another method is to wrap damp towels around the tank but please be very careful around powerpoints/plug sockets, etc.

Thats just a minor injury - it can appen when they brush against something, get caught between things, or when they bite their own tail (yes axies are that stupid sometimes).

But you do need to keep the temp down to enable the tail to heal - all the time it's too warm healing is hampered. Keep it under 20C and you'll be fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back