Hi from chesterfield (UK)

lardoftheflies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I used to keep a couple of California newts back in the 80's-90's and loved them!! I am now considering getting back into newt keeping in a small way and am interested in some friendly active mostly aquatic easy to keep species - any suggestions gratefully received.
Love this site - wish it was around when I used to keep my newts!
Cheers
Mark

Hi, welcome to the site, it's good to see someone else from Chesterfield on here! :)

Hi thanks.
Maybe you will be able to suggest some local suppliers etc. once I get going
Mark

Temperament and activity more important than looks. Something not too small and largely aquatic. Have heard sharp ribs might be worth considering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, P. waltl seem to have bags of personality, they are also easy to find, uncomplicated to care for and would make an impressive display in a large planted tank! I don't keep them myself but I would like to when I have the space. :)

Not breeders but Wharf aquatics at Pinxton had some juveniles for sale the other week, they also crop up in the for sale section on here fairly regularly.

Thanks, they have P.Waltl and Paddletails on their list, i would rather raise eggs, but might have to take a trip down!

Yes they have a tank full of paddle tails, they are almost certainly wild caught though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back