Using slate in a tank

Youjellyman

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am in the process of setting up a 10 gallon tank for an axolotl. I plan to put slate inside of the tank. I was wondering if I should use slate tile and place it on the bottom or just get different sizes and stack them in different ways. My question is if I use slate tile should I grout it to the bottom or does it not really matter?

A slate tile shouldn't move, unless your Axie really hates it, even then, depending on the size it probably still wouldn't be able to move it. If you do use grout make sure it doesn't have any chemicals which could potentially harm your Axie. If you want a clear answer: It doesn't really matter.

I am in the process of setting up a 10 gallon tank for an axolotl. I plan to put slate inside of the tank. I was wondering if I should use slate tile and place it on the bottom or just get different sizes and stack them in different ways. My question is if I use slate tile should I grout it to the bottom or does it not really matter?

Most people use aquarium sealant to 'stick' it to the bottom then seal around the edge of the slate with the sealant - like you would around the edge of a bath. This prevents gunk building up under the slate and affecting your water parameters. If you choose not to stick it down then you must lift it regularly and clean underneath it.

Most people use aquarium sealant to 'stick' it to the bottom then seal around the edge of the slate with the sealant - like you would around the edge of a bath. This prevents gunk building up under the slate and affecting your water parameters. If you choose not to stick it down then you must lift it regularly and clean underneath it.

What kind of grout should I use and what is the best place to get slate?

use any aquarium safe silicone sealant. Pet stores have it but you can also go to home depot, just make sure its aquarium safe.

Do NOT use grout use aquarium safe silicone. As the previous poster has said you can get this in most pet stores or from Amazon or Ebay.

You can get slate tiles in most DIY/hardware shops - anywhere they sell tiles for your bathroom/kitchen etc. Or you can get them from places that sell hearths and fire surrounds.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back