Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello everyone. it is my first time using this site. :)

MissLizD13

Reaction score
Hello my name is liz and i just recently obtained a water dog which i believe is a type of tiger salamander. i live in colorado springs co. i am unsure if it is male or female. named it Sal. it is about 9 inches long and still in the larval stage. i am unsure of its age and if it is neotenic or not. it has beautiful markings and i have had it for 5 days. already eating cut up night crawlers from a tweezer. it likes to sit on the side of the tank that i am closest too, ive noticed. very active at night. would like to know what exact species of tiger salamander it is, age, and possible sex of the unique creature. i currently have it in a 10 gallon tank with some feeder fish although it has only eaten one small fish and prefers worms. i have only fed it twice due to my research saying to feed it 2-3 times per week. i feed it anywhere from 1 1/2-2 night crawlers each time. i will be posting some pictures so as to give others a better idea of how to answer my questions.

Attachments

• Sal 4 (2-21-2014) Day 4.jpg
    Sal 4 (2-21-2014) Day 4.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 142
  • Sal 5 (2-21-2014) Day 4.jpg
    Sal 5 (2-21-2014) Day 4.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Sal 12 (2-22-2014) Day 5.jpg
    Sal 12 (2-22-2014) Day 5.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 111

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What a gorgeous specimen. Here is a link to a care sheet. Best of luck!
Identifying the sub- species, I believe, is best done if you know the area it was collected. But once it morphs, I"m sure people will be able to venture opinions. If it is still larval, I'm guessing it's under a year old. You won't be able to sex it until it is an adult.

MissLizD13

Reaction score
i thought that the sex can be determined in larval stage... a few people think its female and said they think she could be neotenic due to her size (9 inches about the length of a butter knife). i hope she morphs. it is my first time owning one and would love the experience.. but if she doesn't thats fine..i wouldnt get rid of her if she didnt morph. shes beautiful. ive also heard that they can sexually mature in the larval state... i am keeping record of her each day. she is getting more use to me and my pups and is becoming more active. was very active during the day today which is dd because every other day she is not as active during the day as she has been at night. she has a healthy appetite.i also read up that tiger salamanders can reach lengths of a foot to 14 inches long. she is 9 inches already. the guy at the bait shop said that he got the water dogs from a guy who catches them nearby in the colorado springs area. not sure if that can determine her specific type of tiger salamander although i think she is a barred tiger salamander..

Attachments

• Sal 2-22-2014 Day 5.jpg
    Sal 2-22-2014 Day 5.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 102
  • Sal  (2-23-2014) Day 6.jpg
    Sal (2-23-2014) Day 6.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Sal 2 (2-18-2014) day 1.jpg
    Sal 2 (2-18-2014) day 1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 101
  • Sal 3 (2-20-2014) day 3.jpg
    Sal 3 (2-20-2014) day 3.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Sal 4 (2-21-2014) Day 4.jpg
    Sal 4 (2-21-2014) Day 4.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Sal 5 (2-21-2014) Day 4.jpg
    Sal 5 (2-21-2014) Day 4.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 99

Ted

Reaction score
Hello my name is liz and i just recently obtained a water dog which i believe is a type of tiger salamander. i live in colorado springs co. i am unsure if it is male or female. named it Sal. it is about 9 inches long and still in the larval stage. i am unsure of its age and if it is neotenic or not. it has beautiful markings and i have had it for 5 days. already eating cut up night crawlers from a tweezer. it likes to sit on the side of the tank that i am closest too, ive noticed. very active at night. would like to know what exact species of tiger salamander it is, age, and possible sex of the unique creature. i currently have it in a 10 gallon tank with some feeder fish although it has only eaten one small fish and prefers worms. i have only fed it twice due to my research saying to feed it 2-3 times per week. i feed it anywhere from 1 1/2-2 night crawlers each time. i will be posting some pictures so as to give others a better idea of how to answer my questions.

Liz,,,this is an awesome salamander..I'll bet it will take an entire night crawler right from your fingers..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!