White eyes?

minxytota

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! this is my first batch of eggs. I kept 50 some odd and they just really started hatching today other than a weirdo who hatched three days ago. Anyway I was doing the baby brine shrimp routine and noticed that one of my seven currently hatched babies has white eyes while the rest have black eyes. What's up with that? Mommy is a wildtype and daddy is leucistic. Is white eyed baby albino? I thought even that should look kind of red but those are totally white even under the brief flash of a light. Granted she's probably less than a day old.

Do you know what the grandparents were? sometimes you'll get two parents that carried the albino gene, do you notice and eggs with larva that do not have visible eyes either?

I don't know the grandparents unfortunately and after an obsessive compulsive search through all 54 larvae it seems that 13 of the remaining eggs (the one that already hatched makes 14) have white eyes as well. Does that mean they're some variation of albino?

Okay so the parents are possibly wild type A/a, D/-, M/-,Ax/-
and leucistic is probably A/a, d/d, M/-, Ax/-
If you see an leucistic babies then the wild type is D/d,
but you should be looking at mostly wild types with a 25% chance at albinos which is around what you have.

Firstly, you're amazing. This genetics stuff makes my head spin, thank you for breaking it down for me. Secondly, is there anyway to tell if I have leucistic babies at this point?

From this site I believe leucistics look white but have dark eyes that are clearly visible. If i'm correct about their genetics then you're probably looking at all your babies only being carries for the leucistic gene.

I have light colored babies with dark eyes but they don't really look white. Time will tell! Thank you so much!

My leucy babies didn't look white at first either. They lightened up over the course of a few weeks.

If you can't see any leucistics after a week you don't have any, that would make the mum's genotype D/D. This also means that your albinos may be golden, if you get a magnifying glass you can look for yellow spots.

Leucistic and albino babies from a wildtype mum may start out quite dark and lighten up. My albinos looked kinda grey-peach at first, but lightened to gold after a couple of weeks. But leucistic babies tend to have a different base colour and no yellow.

My lighter babies have no color showing in their gills, black eyes and spots of brown down their backs. My albino baby looks yellow in color but has no spots, just a general yellowish color. Genetics is fun! I wish I could figure it out though lol. Thank you guys so much for your help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back