Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Eye infection or scratched?

MotherGothel

Reaction score
I came home today and found one of my dark melanoid axies looking like this! I have no idea if it is a result of an injury or if it is an infection, none of his tank mates have this problem. He is ~1 yr 1 mo. old

I removed him from the tank and placed him in a separate container with cold, de-chlorinated water. Help?

In the photos I have included one of a white spot that I noticed on his back.... this spot has not spread or changed and he has had it for months now.

Attachments

• Pot's eye -close up 01.jpg
    Pot's eye -close up 01.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 632
  • Pot's eye -close up 02.jpg
    Pot's eye -close up 02.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 628
  • Pot's eye -close up 03.jpg
    Pot's eye -close up 03.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 739
  • Pot's eye -full body.jpg
    Pot's eye -full body.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 787
  • Pot's white spot.jpg
    Pot's white spot.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 694

auntiejude

Reaction score
Cloudy eyes is usually a sign of a water quality issue - what are your water parameters? It doesn't look infected or injured.

MotherGothel

Reaction score
I need to check my parameters, but if it is due to the water conditions then why is it only one eye and why are none of my other 5 axies exhibiting similar symptoms?

If you look closely at the third picture the problem eye looks like there is one spot on it where there is a darker concentration of white, the shape of the eye is no longer smooth here either... as if part of it where bitten or there has been a growth (either healing or infection) forming where the eye is most white....

If an axolotl is bitten on part of its eye does that grow back? Its quite different from regenerating a limb....

Also I just noticed that it looks like he is starting to shed a bit around his mouth, and his coloring is noticeably lighter.... Could the change in color be due to the fact that he is in a clear container on a white counter?

E

Elise

Cloudy eyes can be a symptom to quite a few causes and I've listed some of the common ones found in the Caudata.org - Symptoms & Illnesses article.
  • Injury
  • Infection
  • Diet
  • Shedding Problems
  • Exposure to Toxin

If you can eliminate the more pressing causes from the list, you may be left with a shedding problem which will usually clear up on its own.

fireball99

Reaction score
Your axie is lovely! He's like Toothless from How to Train Your Dragon. Hope he feels better soon :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1