Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

2014 is named the "Year of the Salamander" by Conservation Groups

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo.
[FONT=&quot]Salamanders and newts, often overlooked by pet keepers, zoos and environmentalists alike, are getting some much-needed exposure this year. Led by the Partnership for Amphibian and Reptile Conservation, a consortium of environmental groups has designated 2014 as the Year of the Salamander. I’m very pleased, as past efforts, including the Year of the Snake and the Year of the Lizard, have done much to advance reptile conservation. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Even among my Bronx Zoo colleagues, I was considered somewhat strange when I began writing a book on newt and salamander natural history and captive care some 17 years ago. But I have been very lucky, salamander-wise. Perhaps because so few people were interested, many fascinating opportunities came my way. Whether crossing the USA and Japan in search of my favorite species or caring for those in my home collection – several of which are now aged 25 to 35 – I’ve never tired of learning about them, and remain as passionate today as I was in childhood. [/FONT]Read the rest of this article here 2014 is Named
Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

Ted

Reaction score
Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo.
[FONT=&quot]Salamanders and newts, often overlooked by pet keepers, zoos and environmentalists alike, are getting some much-needed exposure this year. Led by the Partnership for Amphibian and Reptile Conservation, a consortium of environmental groups has designated 2014 as the Year of the Salamander. I’m very pleased, as past efforts, including the Year of the Snake and the Year of the Lizard, have done much to advance reptile conservation. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Even among my Bronx Zoo colleagues, I was considered somewhat strange when I began writing a book on newt and salamander natural history and captive care some 17 years ago. But I have been very lucky, salamander-wise. Perhaps because so few people were interested, many fascinating opportunities came my way. Whether crossing the USA and Japan in search of my favorite species or caring for those in my home collection – several of which are now aged 25 to 35 – I’ve never tired of learning about them, and remain as passionate today as I was in childhood. [/FONT]Read the rest of this article here 2014 is Named
Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank
Frank,,,year of the salamander sounds pretty good to me,,,can I ask you,what salamander in your private collection is 35 years old?

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Frank,,,year of the salamander sounds pretty good to me,,,can I ask you,what salamander in your private collection is 35 years old?

Hi, thanks for your interest..it is a Black-chinned red salamander, Pseudotriton ruber schencki; I thought this odd for such a small salamander, but since have learned of several northern reds in their late 20's in a public collection, best, Frank

Ted

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your interest..it is a Black-chinned red salamander, Pseudotriton ruber schencki; I thought this odd for such a small salamander, but since have learned of several northern reds in their late 20's in a public collection, best, Frank

Wow,,,I had no idea,the pseudotriton had such a lifespan..you must have a world record,what would that be in salamander years,? I have a ruber ,7 in and only 4 yrs old.hard to believe he's just getting started..I wonder ,the spring salamander must be similar..long long lifespan? Thanks for the reply

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1