My first Axolotl!

ShadowRancher

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just got my baby in the mail on Saturday and I'm in love. I made an imgur album of him and his set-up. Any comments or suggestions would be welcome but he seems to be doing great so far! Meet Shaggy Dog
Shaggy Dog - Imgur

What a cutie! I love baby lotls, they're just so precious!

I think my only commentary would be that the sand might be just a tad thick, be sure to move it around every now and then so no pockets of nasty stuff build up.

How are you keeping his tank cool? I don't see a fan or a chiller. Internal filters tend to create heat...

He looks fantastic! Not a bad set up, either. Simple is good for the little guys. I'm glad to see you've got a feeding jar for him, since you have sand. Good move!

I wouldn't say that the sand is too deep, though I wouldn't go any deeper (but moving it around during cleaning is a good idea, as Kaini said). It should be fine as-is.

When he gets bigger, give him some fun plants to play and hide in (though I see you've got a moss ball; again, nice touch!)

The only thing I'd suggest for now is to get a digital thermometer in there so you can always know the exact temperature. Other than that, looking good so far!

I've got to say, he's a very pretty little melanoid. Lovely gills, and look at that spotting! That's going to be GORGEOUS later.

Congrats :)

What a cutie! I love baby lotls, they're just so precious!

I think my only commentary would be that the sand might be just a tad thick, be sure to move it around every now and then so no pockets of nasty stuff build up.

How are you keeping his tank cool? I don't see a fan or a chiller. Internal filters tend to create heat...

Yup I use sand in all my fish tanks so I'm used to that. I'm watching the temps carefully (its been sticking around 63). I think the wide gauge mesh allows for enough evaporation to keep it cool at least in the winter months. Our apartment is also a super old building surrounded by shade w brick floors that are directly on the slab so its just always cold. I do have a thermometer in there to let me know if I need to add a fan in the summer months though!

Yup I use sand in all my fish tanks so I'm used to that. I'm watching the temps carefully (its been sticking around 63). I think the wide gauge mesh allows for enough evaporation to keep it cool at least in the winter months. Our apartment is also a super old building surrounded by shade w brick floors that are directly on the slab so its just always cold. I do have a thermometer in there to let me know if I need to add a fan in the summer months though!

Cool, sounds good! Looks like you've got it handled :) Congrats on your little guy!

He looks fantastic! Not a bad set up, either. Simple is good for the little guys. I'm glad to see you've got a feeding jar for him, since you have sand. Good move!

I wouldn't say that the sand is too deep, though I wouldn't go any deeper (but moving it around during cleaning is a good idea, as Kaini said). It should be fine as-is.

When he gets bigger, give him some fun plants to play and hide in (though I see you've got a moss ball; again, nice touch!)

The only thing I'd suggest for now is to get a digital thermometer in there so you can always know the exact temperature. Other than that, looking good so far!

I've got to say, he's a very pretty little melanoid. Lovely gills, and look at that spotting! That's going to be GORGEOUS later.

Congrats :)

Thanks! I'm pretty pleased w him! I do keep forgetting to buy a thermometer though. Every time I'm on amazon I think ok there was something I needed :p I'll have to leave an alarm on my phone or something. I've been using the temp gun I have for my tortoises and an old brewing thermometer for now.

This is a decent thermometer. I think it's the same kind that I use, except way less expensive. (pet shop racked the price up to $11 :/ )

I really liked this one here :3

Fluval Nano Thermometer | thatpetplace.com

The site is great with their shipping, and they usually have some pretty good stuff on sale for dirt cheap. It's a really small thermometer, but at $1.09 a piece they do a great job. Fluval usually makes good stuff anyways, so it's worth the buy in my opinion.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back