6 toes, problem?

robopetz

Reaction score
Country
United States
(Picture of it in my profile album)

Hi there, did a search on the forum about this but didn't really find anything. I am a new owner of 2 axolotls. One albino and one normal. They are about 3 inches, how old do you think they are? But my question is that my albino has 6 toes on her hind right leg. Should I be worried or not? It seams perfectly fine, it's not effecting her there is no wound or rash and she don't mind it either lol. Just thought I'd ask here.

Btw my first post! Hi all! I'm Robbie all the way from Hawaii. They have always fascinated me and I finally got me some. So yes, I'm a newbie per say hahaha. I do also have 5 parrots, a cat, a mini pond (with goldfish, koi, and lots of guppies in it), betta fish, and now my axolotls. Currently a student to become a vet tech.

Thanks y'all!

Last edited:
(Picture of it in my profile album)

Hi there, did a search on the forum about this but didn't really find anything. I am a new owner of 2 axolotls. One albino and one normal. They are about 3 inches, how old do you think they are? But my question is that my albino has 6 toes on her hind right leg. Should I be worried or not? It seams perfectly fine, it's not effecting her there is no wound or rash and she don't mind it either lol. Just thought I'd ask here.

Btw my first post! Hi all! I'm Robbie all the way from Hawaii. They have always fascinated me and I finally got me some. So yes, I'm a newbie per say hahaha. I do also have 5 parrots, a cat, a mini pond (with goldfish, koi, and lots of guppies in it), betta fish, and now my axolotls. Currently a student to become a vet tech.

Thanks y'all!

I can't tell you an age because axolotls can grow at different rates and I'm sure someone whose been breeding them could give you a better guess but I can answer your toe question. Its perfectly fine for an axolotl to have extra toes, gills, even extra feet as long as you don't see it affecting its health in any way.

Extra toes is totally fine. Actually, I just noticed that one of my male rough skinned newts has five toes on his front foot! Its kind of cool.

Anyway, an axie having five toes is fine, I have found wild frogs and salamanders that are missing eyes. So if wild amphibians can survive with only one eye, captive amphibians can survive just fine with six toes.
-Seth

Axies usually have 5 toes on their back feet, although more or fewer is normal as they can add extra toes when regrowing injured ones or never grow them back. My axies have between 3 and 6 toes.

3 inches could be as young as 3 months, or could be a year - all depends on how they were raised, nutrition, genetics etc. but I would normally say between 3 and 5 months at that size.

One of my axies has a foot and a half on one leg. The half foot is growing out of the lower part of the full foot. I'm pretty sure he has eight toes on that leg. They're strange little guys but it doesn't seem to bother him any. He still walks around on the bottom and everything just like my lotls with regular feet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back