Question: New to axolotls & just set up my tank!

bubblegum91

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want everything to be perfect before I get any axolotls. I know the lights I have now aren't ideal for an axolotl tank, I was thinking maybe getting the moonlights that I've seen around, does anyone have any thoughts on that, or any lights that would be okay and still help with plant growth? And I do plan on adding more hides and plants later, after my axolotls are big enough to mingle (I'm planning on getting two, hence the divider)
Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated :)

Attachments

• aquarium.jpg
    aquarium.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 1,320
I have a very strong light, and my lotls have gotten use to the light(they come out of hiding now) and i have floating plants now so it is not even half as bright as it use to be.

It is up to you on what you want to do as far as lighting goes. But i would suggest more plants that can block the light if you were to keep a bright one.

Other then that the tank looks great :) cant wait to see pictures of your new lotls

Edit: do you have a tardis in your tank?:)

Looking good so far! Do you have a thermometer to monitor the water temperature? What size Axies are you getting? It's generally suggested you keep juvies on a bare bottom since sucking up sand can be bad for them.

Also I've heard stories in other threads about that Dr. Who ornament being bad for your tank - the paint bubbles and leeches toxins into the water. Apparently - I've never had much luck with painted ornaments either.

Can't help you on lights since I don't light my tank at all xD

I have a very strong light, and my lotls have gotten use to the light(they come out of hiding now) and i have floating plants now so it is not even half as bright as it use to be.

It is up to you on what you want to do as far as lighting goes. But i would suggest more plants that can block the light if you were to keep a bright one.

Other then that the tank looks great :) cant wait to see pictures of your new lotls

Edit: do you have a tardis in your tank?:)

Thanks! I was thinking about getting floating plants too, haven't been able to find any yet though. Might just get some fake silk ones. & yes it is a tardis :) I have a dalek in my other tank as well haha

Looking good so far! Do you have a thermometer to monitor the water temperature? What size Axies are you getting? It's generally suggested you keep juvies on a bare bottom since sucking up sand can be bad for them.

Also I've heard stories in other threads about that Dr. Who ornament being bad for your tank - the paint bubbles and leeches toxins into the water. Apparently - I've never had much luck with painted ornaments either.

Can't help you on lights since I don't light my tank at all xD

Yep I have a thermometer, and my house always stays fairly chilly, unfortunate for me but the axolotls will enjoy it! The axolotls I've been looking at are 4-5 inches, and I was also going to get a few glass dishes to feed them on and maybe a larger reptile feed dish when they're older, just to keep taking extra precaution!
Thanks for letting me know, I've never heard anything about the ornaments being unsafe, I've had it in that tank for maybe 6 months now (I had fish in there previously) haven't had any issues, but I will forsure keep an eye on it!

Yep I have a thermometer, and my house always stays fairly chilly, unfortunate for me but the axolotls will enjoy it! The axolotls I've been looking at are 4-5 inches, and I was also going to get a few glass dishes to feed them on and maybe a larger reptile feed dish when they're older, just to keep taking extra precaution!
Thanks for letting me know, I've never heard anything about the ornaments being unsafe, I've had it in that tank for maybe 6 months now (I had fish in there previously) haven't had any issues, but I will forsure keep an eye on it!

I was the one who brought up the dr who ornaments being unsafe. It seems that some people might have had defective ones and it was more common in the cybermen or metallic painted daleks. If you see any bubbling or notice your axies acting weird just take them out and do a water change.
For lights it really depends on if you want plants to grow and how much hiding space you have. You can look at getting some really broad leafed plants but be warned that axolotls are prone to digging. Maybe order some frogbit online? I've always wanted that in my tank and they look so cool

I was the one who brought up the dr who ornaments being unsafe. It seems that some people might have had defective ones and it was more common in the cybermen or metallic painted daleks. If you see any bubbling or notice your axies acting weird just take them out and do a water change.
For lights it really depends on if you want plants to grow and how much hiding space you have. You can look at getting some really broad leafed plants but be warned that axolotls are prone to digging. Maybe order some frogbit online? I've always wanted that in my tank and they look so cool

Thanks for the advice! I'll keep an eye on my decorations. And I'll also browse around online for some more plants:)

Some axie friendly plants;
Elodea
Java fern
Java moss
(most java actually)
Anubias (pretty much all anubias)
Water soldiers
Water lettuce
Mini water lettuce
Duck weed
Moss balls
Hornwort
:D

I also have the tardis and a cyberman. I've been keeping a close eye on them since bloomsloth told me about the problems some people were having with them. I'm pleased to report that I haven't seen any issues with mine so far, so hopefully yours will be fine too.

All these positive reports are making me want to get the Dr Who ornaments all over again lol

UPDATE
Added some river rocks to my tank, I'm super paranoid about my future axis sucking up sand, so I figured I would try to reduce their contact with the sand. I'm also going to add a glass feeding jar on each side soon. Also bought some floating plants (Frogbit) and added the string of lights (similar to Christmas lights) behind the tank to give the axolotls a dimmer light, but still make the tank visible.
And though I would share a picture of my Betta who is currently living in the tank until I get the axolotls (I just think he's so gorgeous!)

Attachments

• aquarium2.jpg
    aquarium2.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 1,825
  • betta.jpg
    betta.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 589
Love the frogbit! I can never find any. Your tank is looking super nice :)

Out of curiosity, what are you going to do with the Betta when you get your axies?

Love the frogbit! I can never find any. Your tank is looking super nice :)

Out of curiosity, what are you going to do with the Betta when you get your axies?

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it now. And the betta usually lives in my 35 gallon tank, he'll be going back in there, its just him and a small/medium sized pleco, my betta is spoiled:)

I bought some fake plants in a mat and the wonderful thing is they float! This makes a wonderful light blocker for both my axols, and looks good too. Also have anacharis floating in my tanks. The fake plants may be a good idea until your frogbit takes over. The Betta is such a beautiful fish, I wish they weren't on the axolotl menu!

Added a bit more to my tank, I think it's done now! And I recently got my axolotls, I posted pics of them in the axolotl gallery part, if anyone is interested :)

:The darker picture is how the tank usually is, the lights behind the tank keep it pretty dark and doesn't bother the lotls, but just light enough so i can still see the tank

Attachments

• aquarium.JPG
    aquarium.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,846
  • aquariumdark.JPG
    aquariumdark.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 246
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back