Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Nacho in trouble :(

seagull

Reaction score
Hey all
i kept 3 of burritos babies, all who r a month old with all 4 legs and about 2 inches
the gold albino, nacho, is somewhat smaller and i think he's dying
he floats upside down and has problems swimming
he looks bloated and full of air
he eats normally and food seems to help right him but he still floats
i am feeding them all every 2 days and keeping them individually at 65 degrees
any advice??

HayleyK

Reaction score
Babies that small should be fed everyday, not every two days.

What are your other readings?

Kaini

Reaction score
ok
and what other readings??

Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. You should KNOW what these levels are in your aquariums at all times, it's essential to keeping any kind of aquatic animal.

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
In his defence, i dont test the water where my babies are, because i feed them, then clean their tub an hour later, and do this daily. I do however test my tap water occasionally to be sure I am actually giving them livable water.

seagull

Reaction score
In his defence, i dont test the water where my babies are, because i feed them, then clean their tub an hour later, and do this daily. I do however test my tap water occasionally to be sure I am actually giving them livable water.

thanx
also i use the same water for all 5 of my axies and i never test it and the other 4 r just fine

Boomsloth

Reaction score
thanx
also i use the same water for all 5 of my axies and i never test it and the other 4 r just fine

What does the same water mean? If you are taking water from a cycled tank for the babies it will have nitrates in it. Babies are poop machines and ammonia builds up fast. You can keep them in dechlorinated water with 100% daily water changes and they will be healthy. Even if you aren't testing for it assume they are producing ammonia every day. Do you do water changes on your adult tanks?

Kaini

Reaction score
thanx

How do you know it is fine if you don't test it??? You need to test your water and do 100% daily changes for them to be healthy.

Do you test the water from the adult tank? How often do you change THAT?

You need to test your water, period. Continuing to ignore our advice to do so is negligent.

seagull

Reaction score
How do you know it is fine if you don't test it??? You need to test your water and do 100% daily changes for them to be healthy.

You need to test your water, period. Continuing to ignore our advice to do so is negligent.
ok sorry :(
i will test the water tomorrow

pnkflyd669

Reaction score

Testing your water is of the upmost importance, So please do so. However this post is only 6 hours old and he hasn't even had the chance to ignore the advice. Cut some slack for people. No one is perfect.

HayleyK

Reaction score
Testing your water is of the upmost importance, So please do so. However this post is only 6 hours old and he hasn't even had the chance to ignore the advice. Cut some slack for people. No one is perfect.

Although it is true that people come to ask questions and will usually get shot down/bad rep, it should be a no brainer to test your water, especially if babies are being kept as they are more susceptible and weaker than adults. It's kinda common sense to test water if you keep aquatic life..

Kaini

Reaction score

Apologies if I came off a little strong, but this isn't the first time this user has been given advice that was apparently disregarded. I simply wanted to stress the importance that it be followed.

pnkflyd669

Reaction score
Apologies if I came off a little strong, but this isn't the first time this user has been given advice that was apparently disregarded. I simply wanted to stress the importance that it be followed.

Your right it is very important and for the sake of the axie I hope they listen to it.

kjnorman

Reaction score
Not to take away from the importance of water changes and water testing for any axie, but I understand that babies/juveniles tend to have more "floating" issues than adults?

I always figured it was similar to how you have to burp babies and massage the bellies on infant puppies and kittens, to get their digestive system moving, the baby axie's gut is still 'learning' how to handle food and they get gassy.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, this is just an impression I have, not based on any actual evidence.

xxianxx

Reaction score

Water change regimes fo 2" axolotls are dependant on water temp, feeding regime and water volume. At this size brine shrimp should have been dispensed with and a switch to live food such as blackworm, white worm, chopped earthworm may have occurred, which would reduce water change requirements. I suggest that you be less critical of other peoples care standards.
To the OP, drop the water level in the tub, add a load of plants for cover and put somewhere cool, not the fridge, the floating may resolve itself, it is more common in juvies than adults

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1