Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ideal Leopard Gecko Diets, Based on Zoo & Field research

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo.
[FONT=&quot]What DO Leopard Geckos Eat?! The Leopard Gecko, Eublepharis macularius, makes a wonderful pet for novices and advanced hobbyists alike (even after many years as a professional zookeeper, I enjoy keeping them, and wrote a book about their care). However, both sellers and buyers sometimes underestimate this delightful lizard’s needs, especially where feeding is concerned. Contrary to popular belief, vitamin-powdered crickets and mealworms do not constitute a suitable diet! If you wish your pet to live out its potential lifespan of 20-30 years in excellent health, you’ll need to provide it with as many different foods as possible. Fortunately, a surprising array of insects can be purchased online and in stores. Collecting and rearing your own insects is another excellent way to add to your gecko’s quality of life…and its great fun as well! [/FONT]Read the rest of this article here What Do Leopard Geckos Eat? - Zoo Researched Diet | That Reptile Blog[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
Hey Frank, do you have any experience with fat-tailed geckos? Mine hasn't been eating lately and I'm getting a bit worried. Here's a link to a thread about her: Any Advice?
Thanks in advance.

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Hey Frank, do you have any experience with fat-tailed geckos? Mine hasn't been eating lately and I'm getting a bit worried. Here's a link to a thread about her: Any Advice?
Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I read your post but not responses so apologies if I'm repeating what's been posted. Mealworms, or mealworms & crickets alone, are not an appropriate diet; in addition to nutritional deficiencies that may arise, MW have been linked to intestinal blockages in numerous species...thick exoskeleton, high chitin levels, etc. Best to avoid, or use newly-molted grubs on rare occasions. Feed as described in the Leopard Gecko article. A blockage will depress appetite and activity...temperatures that drop at night also (pads may not warm air, best to check); vet check is the only way to rule out a blockage...please let me know if there's anything else you need, best, Frank

Swampie

Reaction score
I have kept Leopard Geckos for an extensive amount of time, from hatchlings to adults. I have never had a problem with feeding a staple diet of gut loaded mealworms. I have a Leopard gecko that is still going strong and is 14 years old and has had mealies as his staple forever.

I do agree that there needs to be variety. I feed wax worms as a treat, as well as dubias. Adults get a day old pinky mouse occasionally as well. My geckos are nice, fat, and healthy.

It is NEVER recommended to feed ANY reptile a wild caught insect. You have no idea where it came from or what it's walked through (pesticides or other chemicals) that could potentially sicken or kill your gecko. Please, please, please, purchase your mealworms or cultivate them yourself.

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
I have kept Leopard Geckos for an extensive amount of time, from hatchlings to adults. I have never had a problem with feeding a staple diet of gut loaded mealworms. I have a Leopard gecko that is still going strong and is 14 years old and has had mealies as his staple forever.

I do agree that there needs to be variety. I feed wax worms as a treat, as well as dubias. Adults get a day old pinky mouse occasionally as well. My geckos are nice, fat, and healthy.

It is NEVER recommended to feed ANY reptile a wild caught insect. You have no idea where it came from or what it's walked through (pesticides or other chemicals) that could potentially sicken or kill your gecko. Please, please, please, purchase your mealworms or cultivate them yourself.

Hello,

Thanks for your interest...your experience with mealworms does not echo mine, but the info is good to have on hand.

There are concerns with wild caught insects, as mentioned in article and those linked therein. But with care, they can be used., and have been in major zoos for many years. Such have long been in use at the Bronx Zoo...all dead collection animals are autopsied, and no evidence has been found of any associated problems during my time there (20+ yrs or prior). Same re minnows/shiners (those in trade are seined from outdoor ponds), earthworms, crayfish and so on.. But always better to err on the side of caution, so if someone is unsure advice should be sought.

best, Frank

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!